Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

new group

trenchwalker

Forum rules: If a post is mostly just an ad for another website, it will likely be removed.

Chris

I'd forgotten this. I've now deleted my recent Chit Chat post in the thread "Book Publishers - Village War Memorial" as it could have been construed as an advert for my memorial website. I think my reference to "self publicity" was possibly a give-away.

Good advert for SueL's site though. Quite proud of meself, there. May be a second career in marketing beckons.

John

;)

(PS: it's left the thread looking a bit odd, now)

John - never fear, I've removed mine as well - the thread is back all ship shape and legitimate and no-one will ever discover our secret!! :rolleyes:

Regards - Sue

Guys

There is no need to retrospectively remove any posts that just offer a URL. If it was that critical, I wouldn't have replied to trench's original post, I would have deleted it.

In the next couple of weeks I will be launching an add-on to the forum that will allow members to add a URL link to a website (only non-commercial links allowed). It will also allow members to comment about the site, and show popularity statistics. You can post all your war memorial links etc there without any problem at all. It will give them higher profile than being buried in a post.

The "rule" is there for a very good reason. Google and other major search engines now downrate sites that carry lots of links. The Long, Long Trail and the Forum both enjoy high ratings on these engines, and that is not by chance, it's down to a lot of hard work. I don't intend to relinquish that position. It's as easy as that. (The new area I am working on will be on a separate URL probably so it will not affect the rating of either of the existing sites).

Cheers

Chris, any ideas why Google et al would have this policy? I have been planning a site that "would" have had lots of links, but now perhaps I shall have to "borrow" the content to fit on mine, so that I will rate high.

Peter (puzzled)

Forum rules: If a post is mostly just an ad for another website, it will likely be removed.

Must confess I wasn't aware of this one; occasionally I add a link to a page on my own site, when someone has asked for info and where I think it relevant. Am I to stop doing this?

No. It is to try to stop what happens on lots of forums: someone zaps in, posts a message just saying "Come to my website at www.xyz.com, it's great". Or even "Buy your books at www.books.com".

Guest Pete Wood
Is there any word in the English language that isn't a website these days?

I thought to myself, I bet nobody has thought of using the longest word

pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis (it's a lung disorder) and turned into a website, cos it would take too long to tap out on the computer....

But then I tried it and foudn that www.pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis.com really is a website.... :lol:

Chris, I think you may now be right. There is no word that isn't a website.

OK, how many people besides me had a look? :P

Me - and it takes you off to www.mosthaunted.net. Which spooked me a little. Time for lie down, I think.