Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Art

Matt Dixon

I have collected a number of items of named trench art, including bullets and shell cases. I know of the old saying "There's a bullet out there with your name on it.", but were these items named as some kind of superstitious ritual, were they souvenirs, or was it simply to commemorate the work of the person who did the engraving?

I'm not convinced by Nicholas Saunders - not least because his definition of Trench Art is so wide. I have never considered things like Silk and other postdards as Trench Art.

There, got that one off my chest.

As for names there can be any reason for adding them. Commemoration of a dead relative (eg artifacts bought on visits after the war), the name of the maker; the name of an owner (if you have spent hours turning a shell base into a crude ash tray for you and your mates to use in billets you don't want someone else to nick it).

You can jump to conclusions, however. One collector I know snapped up a well polished shell case with a tight fitting lid and elaborate but well worn decoration and an inscription which he took to be a loved one of the soldier who had made it.

Did it read Bacchus (god of wine?) - finally he concluded that the dedication read To Bacca (or Becky or similar). Gleefully arriving home with this enigma his partner took one look at it and proclaimed "You idiot - it's Tobacco.

I think you'll find most so called Trench Art was actually made after the war

either by soldiers during the occupation of the Rhineland or French/Belgian

civilians who collected the many bullets, shell cases laying around. I don't dispute that some pieces were actually made to pass the time when out of the line.

But if you look at the amount of trench art around these days if it was all made during the war, there wouldnt have been time to do any fighting, everyone would have been knocking up elaborate pieces of metal.

Just my opinion

Geoff

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Nicolas Saunders' book is one of the very few around dealing with the subject, and it certainly opened my eyes to the range of items that were made. On another note Dr Saunders is a very approachable person, willing to share his knowledge quite freely, which is what I found when I e-mailed out of the blue with a question. Matt if you mail me off forum I will let you have his e-mail address.

Ian

Here is a piece of Trench Art that has been bequeathed to me complete with its maker’s description. Bit of a variation from the many shall cases, etc. of which there is a marvellous collection at the cafe at Hooge, of course.

A 23 year-old blacksmith of the Royal Engineers, serving with a Road Workshops of the 5th Army, L/Cpl Reginald Bunn, had endured Third Ypres and the March 1918 offensive. His description is as follows:

“After the 1918 Armistice we came back to a shell-damaged margarine factory at a place called Fivees just outside Lille that we had captured earlier. The factory had a workshop where I made this. The copper plate I cut from a case which had contained Ammonal, a very high explosive used for tunnelling. The bullets at the corners were French rifle bullets. The shoes I made from the copper driving band from a German high velocity shell which came from the famous Vimy Ridge (I picked it up whilst still hot) which was captured later by the Canadians. I was at Vimy in April 1917. The horse shoe nails I made from our own cartridge cases. The piece of glass I think I can remember getting from a totally wrecked billiard saloon in Bethune.” The badge and button are, of course, of his own Corps – Royal Engineers.

It measures 12 inches by 7 inches and the glass pieces slot into groves at the back where photographs could be inserted. It has a mention in Nicholas Saunders’ book.

post-20-1066217322.jpg

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Chris,

Yes - I recognised the piece from the book - was Reginald Bunn a relative of yours?

It was also nice to see the piece in colour - Thanks.

Ian :)

(Extract from Blackadder Goes Forth: Captain Cook)

[The dugout. Blackadder is sitting in a chair reading a book. A record is playing softly. Scratching noises are heard.]

Blackadder: Baldrick, what are you doing out there?

Baldrick: I'm carving something on this bullet sir.

Blackadder: What are you carving?

Baldrick: I'm carving "Baldrick", sir.

Blackadder: Why?

Baldrick: It's a cunning plan actually.

Blackadder: Of course it is.

Baldrick: You see, you know they say that somewhere there's a bullet with your name on it?

Blackadder: Yes?

Baldrick: Well, I thought if I owned the bullet with my name on it, I'd never get hit by it, 'cos I won't ever shoot myself.

Blackadder: Oh, shame.

:D

Gary

There are two books on Trench Art by Nicholas Saunders both having the same title !!!? - but differing content.

TRENCH ART - ISBN 0 85052 820 8 - 192 Pages - Pen and Sword £12.95

TRENCH ART - ISBN 0 74780 543 1 - 48 Pages - Shire Books £4.99

I have the latter which provides an interesting and informative introduction to the subject.

Some items I consider trench art or POW art can be dated to some degree, either by actual dates or by style and design (I know the latter is more of a guess without actual dates).

The attached item is a POW box that the carver was nice enough to sign with name, town and unit. It also has dates that clearly show it was done in 1919.

The next two items are also post war items judging from the names on the pipe and the letter opener made from the shell splinter but as to the last item your guess is as good as mine.

The shell base with Douai and the two 77mm shell cases with the stags, acorns, etc. I believe were made during the war. I am not that familiar with post war German trench art, I doubt they had much time to produce them. The shell base is from a specific area while the two cases are very ornate and an unusual design from what little I have seen.

Too bad the majority were not signed and dated as I would have liked to know who did them.

Ralph

post-20-1066441336.jpg