Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

AYUN KARA, NAHR EL AUJA MAP

TerryK

Does anyone have access to the contemporary 1:63,360 or 1:40,000 maps of the Ayun Kara or Nahr el Auja areas of Israel? I have references to the battles fought in these location by the New Zealanders in November 1917 which use the alpha-numeric map references eg. V36 etc.

Thank you.

Terry Kinloch

Terry

For a map of the eastern part see my inquiry on the Bald Hill Battle, its has a number of maps of that area.

I would also be interested on coments of my paper of that battle from an NZ point of veiw as it was two of your companies that took part, have you seen any NZ records on this time.

Cheers

S.B

Thanks Steve. Unfortunately your Bald Hill maps don't help me. I know nothing really about the ICC Bde's war, I'm afraid. After I finish my second book on the NZMR Bde I will start looking into this aspect of the war.

Terry

Guest Bill Woerlee

Terry

G'day mate

Have you tried:

http://www.anzac-israel.com/topo.htm

for the Richon de Zion action. Of course there is the old Turkish map of the area available at 1:50,000.

post-7100-1151806529.jpg

As for the Nahr el Auja action, unless you have access to a collection of contemporaneous maps held by your New Zealand archival people, then you are stuffed. I have searched the AWM map collection for anything vaguely reflecting the maps issued by the DMC in 1917 and they do not exist in their collection. There are references to these maps but the maps themselves do not exist in the collection. It's a real tease.

If you are prepared to work from 1:40,000 maps prepared in March 1918, then I can send you a copy of the Nahr el Auja region which was aluded to by Steve in his comments above - that is just a hoot an' a holler from Bald Hill and an action that took place simultaneously - the Bald Hill operation to cover the assault of the NZMR. In essence, Steve was suggesting in his usual urbane manner that to understand one action requires an understanding of the other as they were both inter-related in many ways and dependent upon each other.

Cheers

Bill

Guest Bill Woerlee

Terry

Just a quick pic to illustrate a question you asked on the ALHF regarding the Hotchkiss Rifle, the pic below demonstrates clearly the reason why the LHR's adopted this weapon so quickly.

post-7100-1151806269.jpg

Apart from the addition to firepower, one quick look and the answer is clear.

Cheers

Bill

Thanks Bill. I have used Gal Shaine's site, and very useful it is. Yes, I would like to see a 1:40,000 map of the Nahr el Auja River area if you have it. Thanks for the Hotchkiss picture.

Terry

Guest Bill Woerlee

Terry

G'day mate

Just a quick note - the contemporary 1:63,360 map which covered Richon le Zion and was issued in 1917 was the same map used on Gal Shaine's site.

post-7100-1151969726.jpg

If you go to Ramleh and compare, you will find this exact display as on the extract above.

post-7100-1151970091.jpg

Cheers

Bill

Hi Terry

I guess you might have map-12 of the BOH, but just in case:

189484.jpg

And BTW: you might check Google earth for some NZMR battle sites. The resolution of some areas was drastically improved lately, and there are some nice views of a couple of the old battle zones:

Ayun Kara:

189485.jpg

WMR section:

189486.jpg

Thanks Gal and Bill - between you, you have been a great help. Google Earth has certainly improved - the Tel el Saba shots are magnificent!

Terry