Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sinking of S.S "Russian" ? (Did this ship exist)

Neil Clark

And finally this man. I have not been able to identify the ship "Russian" at all. Did it exist or does the CWGC list incorrect/corrupted info?

Thanks

Neil

JOHNSTON R.D

3rd Cook (Butcher) Robert David JOHNSTON. SS “Russian” (Liverpool). Mercantile Marine. Drowned 14th December 1916 aged 32 years as a result of an attack by a German submarine. Born Ashford, Kent. Husband of Annie Johnston (nee Cronin) of 17, Park Road, Ashford, Kent. Robert has no known grave. His name appears on the Tower Hill Memorial, London.

Yet another Ashfordian who appears to have been completely forgotten… His name does NOT appear anywhere locally!

Hi Neil,

RUSSIAN 8,825 grt she was owned by F. Leyland & Co. Ltd, Liverpool. Built by Harland & Wolff in 1895.

RUSSIAN was torpedoed and sunk by UB-43 on the 14th. December 1916 in the Mediterranean whilst enroute from Salonica to Newport Mon. in ballast. 28 perished.

Regards

Arthur

Arthur,

Thank you very much for that helpful information. I have updated this man's entry accordingly...

Neil

Neil,

The location of the sinking was 210 miles East by South of Malta (35°30'N, 18°52'E). UB 43 was under the command of Kplt. Hans Mellenthin, a very able U-boat commander who would go on to win the Pour le Mérite.

Best wishes,

Michael

Thanks Michael,

I'm afraid when it comes to ships and the navy I don't know an awful lot...

Enjoy the good weather!

Neil