Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Medal production

chris basey

Last month we had a very interesting topic about the production of the Death Plaques. Can anyone please point me to sources of a similar nature in respect of the production of the World War 1 campaign medals.

Details of their design, method of manufacture and the mammoth task of engraving such a vast amount of items must all make interesting reading.

My search to find book(s) on the subject haven't been successful.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Chris,

'The Interallied Victory Medals of WW1' by Laslo is the definitive book on the Victory medals of all the allied nations. It goes into detail about how the ribbon was designed and the designers of the individual obverses.

Ian

Chris,

A new book has just been published (2 weeks ago) called "The Collector and Researchers guide to the Great War, Vol.1" by Howard Williamson (a respected medal dealer/collector). He states that this is "an essential work of reference for collectors, dealers, researchers, geneologist and students of the Great War 1914-19". It is printed in A4 format, hard-back and contains over 800 pages, so could well become the bible of British Great War medals. It contains everything you probably seek on Death Plaques and medals, including manufacture, offical stampings, etc. It covers all WW1 British and Commonwealth medals, including Gallantry, death scrolls, citations, casualty forms etc.

It is privately printed by Anne Williamson who is contactable by email on anne@williamson1762.fsnet.co.uk. I think it costs £39. Not cheap, but looking at the amount of research that went into it, a bargain. Volume 2 is out about now (for an extra £10) which deals with general Militaria (helmets, uniforms, dog-tags etc).

I purchased it 2 weeks ago and still reading. Any questions please let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Regards, Steve C (Krithia)

Guest Pete Wood

Steve

I have emailed you about this book. If my email hasn't made it, please let me know.

The book costs £39 plus £5 p&p. Mr Williamson can only accept cheques - no plastic. I won't give out any more of the author's details, but if you look on Spinks site you can find further info of where to send the cheque.

• 6 months later...

Hello

Thought I'd bring this to the top rather than start a new thread, for I am sure that this query has been answered elsewhere but I've been unable to locate it using Search.

With regard to the naming of WW1 medals, most I have encountered have the usual small, relatively deeply impressed naming.

However, some, and more particularly among the BWMs, have taller and often feinter naming; the upright lettering often extending nearly the full width of the medal. As far as I am aware they have not been renamed and a number of such examples have been purchased from leading medal dealers. One was on a naval officer's BWM, the other on an infantry soldier's medal, so I assume that it is not a idiosyncrosy restricted to officers' medals?

Any ideas?

As with Death Plaques made at a variety of locations, was the naming of these medals carried out by a number of different firms using different machinery? If so, why are the accompanying Victory medals impressed in the most common style: would they not be stamped together to avoid loss? :huh:

(Had a quick look around the Web and noted that a number of BWMs were made and named in India with larger capitals. However, the Regt. did not serve in India and the Victory Medal - assuming that the Star was issued separately - is in usual British style. Quite a conundrum.)

Cheers

Richard

• 5 years later...
Chris,

A new book has just been published (2 weeks ago) called "The Collector and Researchers guide to the Great War, Vol.1" by Howard Williamson (a respected medal dealer/collector). He states that this is "an essential work of reference for collectors, dealers, researchers, geneologist and students of the Great War 1914-19". It is printed in A4 format, hard-back and contains over 800 pages, so could well become the bible of British Great War medals. It contains everything you probably seek on Death Plaques and medals, including manufacture, offical stampings, etc. It covers all WW1 British and Commonwealth medals, including Gallantry, death scrolls, citations, casualty forms etc.

It is privately printed by Anne Williamson who is contactable by email on anne@williamson1762.fsnet.co.uk. I think it costs £39. Not cheap, but looking at the amount of research that went into it, a bargain. Volume 2 is out about now (for an extra £10) which deals with general Militaria (helmets, uniforms, dog-tags etc).

I purchased it 2 weeks ago and still reading. Any questions please let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Regards, Steve C (Krithia)

I tried to mail the address above but it wasn´t working any longer. Is there anyone that can give any tips on where to read some more about the book and perhaps buy it as well?

Chris

It was a rather limited edition work, Chris. I doubt you'll find it anywhere other than the second hand market and even then in very short supply.