Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Abbreviation

Andrew Hesketh

The following appears on a Roll of Honour:

Bark, S.H. Royal Navy, CPO ER4

Would anyone be able to suggest the meaning of CPO ER4?

Thanks chaps and chapesses,

Andrew

Not being a naval buff, but I think CPO is Chief Petty Officer.

Peter (back on course in Ottawa)

Could ER4 be a garble for ERA = Engine Room Articifer?? Which I think would sort of fit for Chief's rank.

Jock

- Beaten by 90 seconds - damn!

Edited by Jock Bruce

Heroic effort chaps (and so quick). I think the suggestions sound correct. Thanks everyone.

The term is Engine Room Artificer, commonly wrongly termed articifer. The modern equivalent is a Marine Engineering Artificer (MEA). Then and now, they are nicknamed 'tiffs' or 'tiffies'. Nowadays of course there are also weapons and aircraft engineering artificers.

An artificer is a skilled tradesman and has to complete an apprenticeship. He is then promoted according to his skills from 5th class up to 1st class, the equivalent of Chief Petty Officer. This is why you sometimes see them as ERA2 or ERA4, etc. rather than Leading Artificer, Petty Officer Artificer, etc. The 'Chief Tiff' would be the 1st class ERA with additional responsibilities with a charge certificate.

The ERA would be an operator and maintainer of all machinery on board, from steam turbines to evaporators for making fresh water.

I left the RN in 1991 as a 2nd class, or Petty Officer, MEA.

Michael

Traditionally "Normal" matelots, If there is such a thing ;) spit when the word Tiff, Tiffy or Artificer is mentioned. A Tiff will tell you it is because us mere mortals are jealous of their technical ability and advanced promotion.

Roger. ( 22 years in the Seaman Branch )