Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battlefield of Cambrai

robwilliams

I have visited Ypres and the Somme many times but next February I intend to go round the battlefields of Cambrai. Does anyone know of a good place to stay that would be very handy for this area?

Thanks in anticipation,

Rob

You just have to stay at the Beatus Hotel (on Rue de Paris, in Cambrai itself), which is run by Phillippe Gorczinski. He is a lovely chap, with a genuine interest in the Great War. He might even be persuaded to show you the tank Deborah, and the new garden memorial he is helping to make near Havrincourt. The hotel is a little more expensive than a B&B but is well worth the extra, for the comfort, food and very friendly welcome. It is walking distance from the town centre too. Just behind the hotel is a large civilian cemetery, with a most interesting military plot in the middle. Here it is (actually this only shows half of the plot, which has a large number of 1914 graves):

pic_cambrai_cem_1.JPG

I hope to go there soon myself. Can anyone tell me if Nine Wood (Bois de Neuf I suppose in French), just north of Marcoing in 1917, still exists, and is it accessible?

Confirmed: there is no CWG in/at Bois de Neuf. If you only asked for the wood: yes, it still (again) exists = its halfway between Marcoing and Noyelles-sur-Escaut and stretches to the left and right of the road

Yes, sorry for the confusion, I simply meant the wood itself rather than any possible cemetery there. It's where a relative died, and I'd like to visit. Can one walk around the wood freely, do you know, or is it fenced off, private property?

As with all woods in France it is private property and you should seek the permission of the owner before entry. Many woods have animal traps, and although owners are meant to put up signs announcing 'pieges', they rarely do in my experience. While these are not lethal to humans, they might be nasty! Do bear this in mind when enterting any wood and if approached, be prepared to leave with grace.

That's great, egbert, thanks very much. The maps available on the net that I've found don't go into nearly so much detail, unlike the OS on Britain. Merry Christmas yourself!