Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Time Team investigating Zeppelin?

J T Gray

I've just received this overnight from a Family History mailing list I'm on. Attach appropriate caveats before reading!

Adrian

Just received some pictures from Time Team's filming of a dig at the site of

the L48 Zeppelin crash at Therberton, Suffolk. Should be a fascinating

program, but would have been a lot more so if the owners of the site of the

L33 zeppelin crash at Little Wigborough had agreed to Time team digging

there. I delivered a letter to the owners, but think they were away at the

time and it wasn't replied to. What a shame. At least there's still the

L33 exhibition at the Museum of Power at Langford in October to look forward

to.

(a text-only mailing list, so no pics to attach!)

Now thats one "Time Team" episode worth watching!

I'm very pleased the makers of that already excellent program have decided to excavate more recent sites like this one. Pity about your letter going unanswered though...

Neil

Pity about your letter going unanswered though...

Not my letter, Neil - I just cut-and-pasted the whole message!

Adrian

L33 was the Zeppelin that landed intact, with a lot of holes where the gas had leaked out but amazingly had failed to catch fire. It was examined thoroughly and dismantled, and the design was virtually copied in the British R33 (same number a co-incidence) and R34.

Therefore, it is unlikely that there would be a lot left to be found. I think some of the engines were used in British airships as well.

Whereas the L48 crashed violently in flames and there may well be some bits left which impacted the ground and were buried.

Adrian (t'other)

Just a minor correction - it would appear that it is in fact Timewatch and NOT Time Team - major difference being that they are BBC. Should be interesting to see what appears, though the run-in time for TV archaeology may be a year or more so don't hold your breath! There have been articles in the last few days in the East Anglian Daily Times (though helpfuly not on its website) and on BBC Look East.

Now we just need to hope that they find enough archaeology for an hour's programme, instead of padding half an hour out. At least one recent Timewatch was VERY guilty of this, and made what should have been a very good programme very frustrating!

Adrian

(no, not him, me)

Just a minor correction - it would appear that it is in fact Timewatch and NOT Time Team - major difference being that they are BBC. Should be interesting to see what appears, though the run-in time for TV archaeology may be a year or more so don't hold your breath! There have been articles in the last few days in the East Anglian Daily Times (though helpfuly not on its website) and on BBC Look East.

Now we just need to hope that they find enough archaeology for an hour's programme, instead of padding half an hour out. At least one recent Timewatch was VERY guilty of this, and made what should have been a very good programme very frustrating!

Adrian

(no, not him, me)

I understand this time.......

Best regards

Neil

• 4 weeks later...

Unlike the usual guessing that the tiny shard of pottery is a 6 foot Roman/Greek/Romano British/ Neanderthal storage vessel....at least if they find a rivet they know what a Zeppelin looks like.

Mick