Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/Lt Percy Harold Lawson 2 Sqn AFC KIA

stevenbecker

Mates,

What can you tell me about the death of this pilot.

His records only mention the following:

"The Late 2/Lt Lawson PH was flying on duty from Baizieux to Auchel on the 6-1-18.

The Machine spun into the ground and bust into flames. His body was taken to the 23 CCS at Lozinghem and buried the following day.

Signed

AJ Jones Maj CO"

I did wonder if this was infact enemy action or his machine just went out of control and crashed?

There are a number of victories claimed by the Germans on this day including Ernst Udet but none appear near this area of France.

Any ideas

Cheers

S.B

G'day Steve,

The following is from page 51 of "Highest Traditions" by John Bennett;

"2nd Lieutenant Percy Lawson (B55) crashed on approach to land at Auchel. His machine flat turned into a spin from 400 feet, caught fire on impact, and he was burnt to death. He had been with the Squadron for six weeks."

It would appear from this that he was KIFA.

Hope this helps,

Andrew

Thanks Andrew,

Do you know what type aircraft he was flying at the time, I take it a single seater maybe a Camel?

Its another of those ones that use the word Killed in Action indescriminately when they died in another way.

Cheers

S.B

Steve

2Lt P H Lawson was flying SE 5a B55 when he was accidentally killed. The aeroplane spun, crashed and was burnt out at Lozinghem aerodrome - the home of No 43 Sqn RFC at the time.

I hope that this helps

Gareth