Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with medal card please

Guest nigel draper

Guest nigel draper

Hello,

I've just downloaded my grandfather's medal card and need some help in deciphering it, (see attachment).

Why does he have a Royal Engineers number and a West Yorks Reg number? Would he have joined the West Yorks first and then transfered to an R.E. unit? How do I find which Battalion of the West Yorks he joined or the Royal Engineer's unit? Sorry for so many questions but I'm trying to trace my grandfather through the war. He died in 1968 without having said a word to anyone about what happened to him.

Any help, guidance, advice would be greatly appreciated. Doc1.doc

Thanks,

Nigel.

Guest KevinEndon

He was in the R.E. first then the W Yorks Regt. He may have been wounded and was transfered when he got better or simply went to the W Yorks because of a trade he had in the R.E.

The Medal Roll from which the Medals have been issued is of the Royal Engineers, which is usually the last unit in which the man served. I would say that the units are the wrong way round (which is unusual but not unknown). The RE number I would estimate as being issued from 1917.

Steve.

Guest nigel draper
The Medal Roll from which the Medals have been issued is of the Royal Engineers, which is usually the last unit in which the man served. I would say that the units are the wrong way round (which is unusual but not unknown). The RE number I would estimate as being issued from 1917.

Steve.

Steve,

Thanks for your help, especially the dating of the RE number.

Nigel