Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A curious one

SFayers

Hi folks,

I've just downloaded the MIC for one of my g grandmother's cousins, Edward Dines (see below). He was killed in action on 10th July 1917 whilst serving with the 1/4th Seaforth Highlanders.

His MIC states he was in the Seaforths and formerly a Private (326130) in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders. Curiously though his CWGC entry says that when he died he was a Lance Corporal - wouldn't this be normally shown on the MIC?

The plot thickens however, on his SDGW entry it states he was formerly with the Middlesex Regiment (G/23587). There is no mention of this on his MIC, and performing a search of the NA website I cannot find any MIC with this number for the Middlesex Regt.

Could the SDGW reference to the Middlesex Regiment refer to a pre-war service - suggesting Edward may have been a reservist - and if so why (from his MIC) did he enter France in 1916 or thereafter and not before? Alternatively have I just got the wrong MIC? I've certainly found no more Edward or E Dines in the Seaforths on the NA website.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

Steve

Steve

I think you will find that 'Lance Corporal' is not a rank but an 'appointment' and, as such, does not appear on the MIC.

One of our rank experts will confirm or deny that!

The previous units shown on SDGW are often for units served with before going overseas (but not necessarily pre-war), which is probably where he was for the two years. The other alternative is that he was unfit for duty (one of my great-uncles was a pre-war Reservist who didn't return to the army until 1916 due to Pleurisy, going overseas in 1917).

The numbers shown on the MIC refer to the 9th Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders and the 4th Seaforth Highlanders respectively.

The Long, Long Trail states:

1/9th (The Dumbartonshire) Battalion

August 1914 : in Dumbarton. Part of A&SH Brigade, Highland Division.

February 1915 : left Division and moved to France.

23 February 1915 : attached to 81st Brigade, 27th Division.

21 May 1915 : transferred to 10th Brigade, 4th Division.

27 May 1915 : amalgamated with 1/7th Bn, and became 7/9th Bn.

Resumed identity 20 July 1915, and attached to VI Corps Troops.

On 27 February 1916 returned to Base, and thereafter used to supply drafts.

Looking at MICs with similar A&SH numbers, there appear to be a fair few men that transferred to the Seaforths with very smilar numbers in BOTH rregiments. It may be that he went overseas with the Argylls to a Base in France and then was transferred after a short time to the Seaforths. But that is speculation.

With both numbers being post 1917 numbers, it may well have been 1917 when he went overseas.

Steve.

Terry, Steve,

Many thanks for your feedback - as always very much appreciated!

cheers

Steve

Guest KevinEndon

L/Cpl as stated is an appointment not a rank therefore all medals and M.I.C.'s do not show L/Cpl even if they were one.

No doubt someone will have a medal with L/Cpl on it somewhere.

Kevin

Unfortunately I don't have his medals but one of my casualties was a L/Cpl and this is what is written on his MIC (which I would post if I wasn't a complete Luddite and knew how to).

L/Cpl Herbert Derisley

17th Bn Middlesex Regt

Incidentally, his service number was F/28. This is on the MIC and CWGC sites. Any experts shed any light on what this means?

Greg

He appears to have been ex Middlesex.

Surname DINES

Firstname Edward

Service Number 235118

Date Death 10/07/1917

Decoration

Place of birth Dedham Essex

Other 4th Bn. formerly G/23587 Middx. Regt.

SNWM roll THE SEAFORTH HIGHLANDERS

Rank L/Cpl

Theatre of death F.& F.

Details

Surname DINES

Firstname Edward

Service Number G/23587

Date Death 10/07/1917

Decoration

Place of birth Dedham Essex

Other latterly 235118 4th Bn. The Seaforth Highlanders.

SNWM roll SCOTTISH CASUALTIES EXTRACTED FROM ENGLISH REGIMENTS

Rank L/Cpl

Theatre of death F.& F.

Name: DINES, EDWARD

Initials: E

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Seaforth Highlanders

Unit Text: 4th Bn.

Date of Death: 10/07/1917

Service No: 235118

Additional information: Son of the late William and Ann Dines, of Dedham; husband of Elizabeth J. Dines, of "Southfields," Dedham, Essex.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: LIX. E. 10.

Cemetery: POELCAPELLE BRITISH CEMETERY

Aye

Malcolm

Many thanks again for the feedback guys - much appreciated. The SNWM was going to be my next port of call!

Cheers

Steve