Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Unknown Soldier

Soren

Hi pal's

My new 'doodle'

I've tried to conjure up the image of an unknown soldiers body with burial party as night sets and rain is belting down, what do you think?

post-4474-1151353267.jpg

Hi pal's

My new 'doodle'

I've tried to conjure up the image of an unknown soldiers body with burial party as night sets and rain is belting down, what do you think?

Superb Soren!

Cheers Neil,

It flowed quite quckly, only 30 minutes to complete, the paper is quite nice and textured which helps to make lovely marks!

The rainproof groundsheet/cape give the soldiers a ghostlike appearance... it is sort of eerie.

Grained paper, soft-lead pencil... quite a "doodle" :)

Gloria

If that is an example of a "doodle" I'd like to see what else you can do. That is excellent.

Another gem, Soren, if you don't mind me saying your drawing style really suits rain- if you take my meaning......

I like Rembrandts quick sketches, and Augustus John's WW1 drawings, I think that my style is more similar to Edward Ardizzone's WW2 work which you can see here:

John:

http://www.leicestergalleries.com/provenar...&a_id=13208

Ardizzone

http://www.iwm.org.uk/upload/package/9/ard.../&book1.htm

He was also a tutor at my old Art school, unfortunately during the 50's, I was there in the 90's............. :(

As always I really like your ability to capture the details of an event. On 'odd' thing about this picture though is, which way is the viewer looking at the coffin - side on or from behind? The first assumption may be from behind, but I noticed there is no break in the wood paneling which would imply its the side panel (hence a side on view).

Hey I am not an ANALyst for nothing!

Andy