Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dr. Elsie Maud Inglis

Tonym

Having just started preparing a profile, for my own interest, of Dr Elsie Maud Inglis, Scottish Women's Hospital; whilst I have a photograph of her memorial in St. Giles Kirk, Edinburgh I wonder if anybody has a photograph of her grave in Dean Cemetery, Edinburgh? be most grateful.

Tonym

Interesting that she was linked to Florence Nightingale.

Robbie

Except for the life of me I can't see that there was any link at all explained in that article!

Sue

Robbie

Except for the life of me I can't see that there was any link at all explained in that article!

Sue

:lol: i pick my new specs up on tuesday...not before time either.

If you want a photo I can get one of Dean Cemetery.

Aye

Malcolm

If it just the cemetery Malcolm, thanks for the offer but it is her grave that I particularly want.

Cheers, Tony

Huge coincidence but within the last week I have asked John Duncan, of this Forum, if he could get a photograph of Elsie's grave headstone. So if their is someone else going, on behalf of Tonym, I should be grateful to be included with a copy of the photo.

Can do. Lunch at the Modern Art Gallery next door on Thursday - a grand day out.

Aye

Malcolm

Would love to join you Malcolm but its a long walk from Brighton

Cheers Tony

Hi

I got the photos. If you need the high res ones email me, meanwhile here's a taster.

Her grave is simple compared to the large marble tombs to the unco good nearby!!

Aye

Malcolm

post-129-1151587299.jpg

And the base....

To The Beloved and

Honoured Memory

of Elsie Maud Inglis

Born 1864 Died on Active Service 1917

Surgeon Philanthropist Patriot

A Leader in the Movement

for the Political emancipation of Women

And Founder in 1914

Of the Scottish Women's Hospitals

for Foreign Service

MORS JANUA VITAE

(Death is the gate of Life)

Aye

Malcolm

post-129-1151587426.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have 2 photographs taken in May 1918 of the presentation ceremony when a bust of Elsie Inglis was given to the people of Scotland by Serbia. I also have a copy of the article from the Scotsman about the ceremony and those who attended. Please advise if you'd like a copy.

Well, that clears up a mystery for me. I was going through a history of NZ nursing book and cross referencing the NZ nominal roll with the names mentioned. No wonder I coudn't find Elsie Inglis!

Allie

From Great Days in New Zealand Nursing by Joan Rattray where it is talking about some NZ nurses with Lady Paget's mission in Serbia:

...many nurses took part in that retreat through the Albanian mountains in the depths of winter. It became one of the great epics of the War. Elizabeth Fraser went with a unit which included Drs Elsie Inglis and Janet Blair. Sadly, Dr Inglis died on board ship when sailing up the Thames Estuary, almost in sight of home.

pg 141.

Considering it's a book about NZ nursing and there is a Thames here - complete with an estuary - you can see why I was a little confused!

Allie

I'm presuming Dr Janet Blair is also British. Anything known about her?

(Malcolm, stop looking at me funny. It was logical thinking at the time! :lol: )

Allie

I expect you know there is a picture of Dr Elsie Inglis with her entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography? Your local library ought to have online access or you may be able to reach it from home if you have a library card.

http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/34101?docPos=7

pg 141.

Considering it's a book about NZ nursing and there is a Thames here - complete with an estuary - you can see why I was a little confused!

Allie

UNQUOTE

News to me. I thought that she died in a hotel in Newcastle.