Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval Memorial to the missing

Jimothy

Thanks for those Jimothy. They really are good and the sepia helps in the presentation. Loads of care in the lighting as well. What time of day were they taken ?

They were taken slap bang in the middle of the day at 12:30 French time.

I love all those rules that say you can't take pictures in the middle of the day when the sun's at its highest.

:DB):rolleyes:

Jimothy - yes I thought that the sun was high and bright. It gives a nice other worldly aspect to the Memorial - which shrugs off the bright exterior illumination - within it's brick recesses giving shade to the men whose names it holds. Nice.

Excellent photos - and the person in the first photo really helps show the sheer size of the monument.

Thanks

Where have all the people and wreaths gone? I've only been there twice, but on both occasions there were a number of other visitors, and poppies much in evidence. Whatever you did, the pictues are certainly worthy of wall space.

Steps in shadow do it for me .. print that onto just a plain cheapo canvas and it would look major league.

Great pictures, very atmospheric.

Andy

Thanks all for your generous comments about my snaps.

Dave, the wreaths are on the other side of the war stone out of view, and the people? Well you have to be very patient in my line of work. If you hang around at Thiepval for long enough you will get brief intervals when there is no-one else there - or at least times when you can point your camera at bits where no-one can be seen.

Yes, I agree that the person gives a sense of scale of the monument - maybe it should have a caption "Does my bum look big in this?" But maybe my wife - for it is she in the picture - wouldn't forgive me.

The wreaths are shown in the shot below.

post-8834-1151489348.jpg

Jimothy.

Great photographs. Thanks for posting for us, I hope to get a few pics myself this weekend, pitty is that I am not much good at photography! So got new Digital gizmo and gonna hope for the best!

:)

Terry W.