Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Translation of Medal Card.

joel

Hi

Colud anybody translate this medal card for me?

202459 Acting Corporal Ernest Goodall, Lincolnshire Regiment.

Every thing else means nothing to me, so could somebody out there please explain for me?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Joel,

Welcome to the forum.

Acting Cpl Ernest Goodall was a Territirial Force soldier. His service number is for either the 1/4th or 2/4th Battalion. I'm guessing (educated!) by his number that he was local to Lincolnshire, enlisting between November 1915 and February 1916, at Lincoln or Grantham. He would have been issued with a four digit service number as well, around the 6180 mark. The Terriers were re-numbered in Feb' 1917.

If he was in the 1/4th he may have been transferred to the 1/5th around June 1918 when the 1/4th were disbanded. He may have been in the 2/4th, who went to Ireland in 1916, and on to the western front in March '17.

The 3/5th was the reserve battalin for the Lincs TF, posting drafts out to both the others. I have a strong feeling for the 1/4th. Also the name rings a bell for some reason, but can't put my finger on it. I have alerted Jim Davies (who is more of a 4th Lincs man than me) who may be able to add some more. Please post his MIC.

Steve.