Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5 VCs on display

mordac

I went to the unveiling of the Piper Richardson statue on Saturday. One of the highlights of the day was seeing five VC's on the same day. Four of the medals were awarded to members of the 16th Battalion during the Great War. I also had the honour to meet and shake hands with Ernest "Smokey" Smith, Canada's last living holder of the Victoria Cross.

Photo 1: Piper Richardson, VC

post-8-1065945256.jpg

Thanks for those photo's; Fantastic to see them!

I have had the opportunity to actually hold Milnes VC and medals (with Canadian Memorial Cross) in my hands, some years ago.

They were owned by a Toronto based collector and close friend of mine; who had some dozen or more VC's (Including the one to Lieut. J.R.M. Chard RE for Rorkes Drift) at one time. He has since liquidated his collection, but stills has one very important VC left.

Mate,

It looks like Canada is like our country with its veterns.

How many of Smokey's medals can you name?

Besides the VC and WWII medals what are all the others?

I had enough trouble in Bosnia trying to guess some Canadian guy's medals but when we went back to Canada there were more problems..

Australia in the last Ten or so years has introduce it own medal and awards system by passsing the old British system, thanks to our then Labor Goverment.

I am sorry to say many of these don't have the same appeal as the old ones.

S.B

Besides the VC and WWII medals what are all the others?

Hi Steve:

Smokey Smith was a member of the Canadian forces until he retired in 1964. He received medals for his participation in the Korean War and was made a Member of the Order of Canada (the medal to the right of the VC). Around his neck he is wearing the Order of British Columbia. A couple of months ago, he was awarded the Minister of Veterans Affairs Commendation which consists of a bar, typically worn below official decorations on a veteran's blazer.

I've attached an enlarged image of his Order of British Columbia and his medals. Hopefully some of the Canadian Pals can identify them.

Garth

post-8-1066027483.jpg