Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Inniskilling book

Desmond7

Thanks for posting this Des - I knew this was being written, but I didn't realise it had come out yet. I like the title - it comes from a poem by a local clergyman whose name I can't remember and I don't have the book here. But I do remember that the full line is 'but what's a wheen o' medals to me / when my own wee lads no more.'

• 4 months later...

Bill Canning brought me round a copy of this book today. A fine example of how to do a Btn history. Diary events, maps, pics, comprehensive gallantry listing, full CWGC record.

Printed on high quality paper - a treasure trove of information about this famous unit.

Happy to do look ups.

More follows later.

What's the price and ordering mechanism, Des?

Bejinkers! Never thought to ask him!

Put it this way .. I received £20 worth of book vouchers at the weekend and hunted round Waterstones looking for something to invest in.

Saw a few things but couldn't bear to part with my precioussssssss.

In all seriousness, if I'd seen this I would have had no problem with parting with dosh and probably even a fiver more.

I'd say this book is retailing in the £15 range?

Take a look at the leaflet above .. it gives Bill's home address and phone no. .. give him a quick bell cos he would be DELIGHTED to hear from you.

I've delved in further and this book is a fantastic template for pre/during/post war research of what happened to men of any battalion.

While it will be of great interest to Irish and partic Norn Iron readers, there is also a strong 'Geordie' connection yet again.

Some of the accounts, especially an unseen diary by a MM winner are truly fantastic.

This book is truly a labour of love and pulls no punches.

Steve .. just ring the man and buy it. It is up there with and in many ways slightly edges Jimmy Taylor's work. And you know how good his efforts have been.

Loads of pics, original letters. Great stuff on Messines, Ypres, Cambrai, March 21, last 100 days etc. As you would expect there is a very healthy section on July 1 - but it is the accounts and opinions on the 'other' actions of the unit and the division which make this top class.

Cannot praise this highly enough.

Brilliant for reference and easily readable - basically 10/10.

I've scanned my copy front and back - no price, no bar code!

Google - it might be up there already?