Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen Alexandras Childrens Banquet 1914

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Guest Ian Bowbrick

On 28 December 1914, 1300 children and some Chelsea Pensioners attended a banquet at the Guildhall in London. The children were drawn from the families of soldiers serving in the Fleet or the Western Front.

Does anyone know if there are any photographs or articles about this event. I have been lucky enough to see one of the medals struck to celebrate and issued at the event and would be interested in more information.

Ian

Ian - There was a mention of this in one of the OMRS Journals.

OMRS

The link only takes you to their index of past Journals, but if you have that info I suppose you might be able to get a copy of the article.

The children present were given medals commemorating the event and I believe that some of the medals still survive. There was a entry for the medal in the Medal Yearbook 2003.

Tim

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Thanks guys - I have seen the entry and was able to identify the medal from it. Strange that the value quoted is only 'up to £70'. I would have thought more for something which must now number a few hundred if that!

Ian

• 2 months later...
On 28 December 1914, 1300 children and some Chelsea Pensioners attended a banquet at the Guildhall in London. The children were drawn from the families of soldiers serving in the Fleet or the Western Front.

Does anyone know if there are any photographs or articles about this event. I have been lucky enough to see one of the medals struck to celebrate and issued at the event and would be interested in more information.

Ian

Was a tin given to serving soldiers, paid for with money raised by Queen Alexandra?

We all know about the "Mary Tin", but I have a tin that looks as if it was given to a soldier at the front, and was possibly provided by a fund set up by Queen Alexandra.

The tin is nowhere near as well produced as the "Mary Tin", being just a colour photo of the Queen stuck on an ordinary tin. The photo has "Xmas 1914" top right and some more writing along the bottom. My tin is not in good condition, but I will try and scan it and post it with this query.

Putting on my "Sherlock Holmes" hat for a moment it looks as if this tin was issued to a soldier serving "under fire" with the BEF, who was later wounded.

Inside the tin were a cutting of "Mrs Harry Isaacs", who I assume commanded whatever hospital the wounded soldier was sent to, and the soldiers medal ribbons.

The ribbons of a 1914 trio, including the rosette on the 1914 star, are on a brass mount. On the back of the mount the soldier has used a pin to scratch:

"SF (space) "J ABBOTT"

Anyone know what the "SF" could stand for? Anyone know anything about a J Abbott?

post-8-1071243761.jpg

Probably unrelated to your query, but Queen Alexandra did send a Christmas gift in 1914 to all nurses serving in QAIMNS. It consisted of a canvas bag with a variety of contents, including a tin, but I think this had an impressed design, and not a picture - this comes from the diary of Sister Jean Todd:

'.....The gifts we have had. Queen Alexandra has sent us fur-lined capes - grey, down below the waist - quaint hoods and muffs and a Christmas card. The King and Queen their photograph and a message. Princess Mary acid drops and note paper in a special box, and then all kinds of gifts from Newspapers......

Obviously the medal ribbon, including the star and clasp could not have belonged to a nurse, and the nurse in your photo is not a member of QAIMNS. I have a photo of the canvas bag, but not a clear one of the tin - I wonder if anyone else has one in their collection?

Regards - Sue