Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Triplane ID ?

stan

Stan

I'm happy to be corrected, but my guess is a Voisin Triplane of 1915, similar to the one below. Though perhaps it's the 1916 version, which had four 200hp Hispano-Suiza inline engines in a push-pull configuration, instead of the four Salmson radials of the earlier type.

Regards

Gareth

v.jpg

post-45-1150894405.jpg

A thing of beauty is a joy forever! However, this might not be quite the appropriate description of the Voisin triplane.

Something that confirms that Jempke's photograph is of the 1916 version is the fabric covering between the diagonal outer inter-plane supporting struts. I think the area was covered in an effort to add to the machine's stability.

Gareth

Has anyone got a pic of the interior of one of the bigger Russian Ilya bombers are there any of these machines left today in museuims etc-they must have been impressive

Actually have a look at this website it's pretty decent

http://www.ctrl-c.liu.se/misc/ram/ilyamour.html

I have a partly photo of that first 1913 four engine Sikorsky Ilya Mourometz plane for you...!

The cabin was slightly different from the 1915 version !

It was foreseen as passengerplane with a crew of 4 and 6 passengers.

The weight of the plane was 3.000 kg and had a fight action radius for 20 hours on fuel.

It could carry a payload of 800 kg.

The wingsurface over all should have been 130 m², and wingspan was 27 m.

Notice the above wing of this biplane was longer than the underwing!

It had 4 motors of 100 hp.

In front was an open balcony for an observator.

Than the cabin with two pilots (double commands) behind a passengers cabin , behind this a gangway for provisions and tools and finally a kind of space or cabin at rear, with a couch to sleep or to rest...

(Photo was published august 1913)

vbr

Jempie.

Hello !

Here photo's from a bookwork (P. Neumann - Die Deutsche Luftstreitkrafte im Welkriege-Berlin 1920)

on the 1915 Sikorsky-Mourometz bomber.

Had a crew of 7.

vbr

Jempie

The Sikorsky in the first photo is the "Le Grand", recognisable by the observation platform in the nose. Only one was built, the original of the whole series. The Mourometz, of which about 80 were built, had a cabin that went right to the front of the nose.

Sikorsky was only 24 when the Le Grand flew; given that this was only ten years after the Wright brothers first flight, it was a huge achievement and vision.

Adrian

The Sikorsky in the first photo is the "Le Grand", recognisable by the observation platform in the nose. Only one was built, the original of the whole series. The Mourometz, of which about 80 were built, had a cabin that went right to the front of the nose.

Sikorsky was only 24 when the Le Grand flew; given that this was only ten years after the Wright brothers first flight, it was a huge achievement and vision.

Adrian

Hello Adrian!

That's fully correct, my apologies for my mistake! :unsure:

I thought it was the first development of the Sikorsky-Mourometz!

It's so after the destruction of the "Le grand" he started with the design for the Sikorsky-Mourometz!

The "Le Grand" was severely damaged and scrapped after , it seems, a Polish pilot flying over the airfield lost his motor from his plane and it fell straight upon the "Le Grand"!

I have it in a book on Sikorsky!

Unfortunately I didn't have a look in it before I posted the photo!

VBr

Jempie

What a great collection of photographs!

Image 61 looks like a Lohner Type L fighter flying boat of the KuK Marine (the Austro-Hungarian Navy). 160 of these were used bu the A-H Navy during the War.

Images 75 and 76 look to be captured Russian Nieuport IV monoplanes.

Gareth

The Sikorsky in the first photo is the "Le Grand", recognisable by the observation platform in the nose. Only one was built, the original of the whole series.

Adrian

I don't think that the aeroplane in the photograph is the Sikorsky Grand (S-21). As you can see in the photograph of the Grand below, the rear fuselage and tail are quite different from that of the Il'ya Mouromets machines, which had bulkier fuselages and a large central rudder. Also, the Grand came to its end on 11 September 1913, well before the date of the photograph of a machine with wartime national markings. I think that the camera angle gives the impression that the photographed machine has a nose that extends in front of the cabin.

If you can find a copy, The Imperial Russian Air Service by Durkota, Darcey and Kulikov [iSBN 0 9637110 2 4] is well worth reading on the subject of the big Sikorskys, and lots more besides.

Regards

Gareth

post-45-1152340218.jpg

I don't think that the aeroplane in the photograph is the Sikorsky Grand (S-21). As you can see in the photograph of the Grand below, the rear fuselage and tail are quite different from that of the Il'ya Mouromets machines, which had bulkier fuselages and a large central rudder. Also, the Grand came to its end on 11 September 1913, well before the date of the photograph of a machine with wartime national markings. I think that the camera angle gives the impression that the photographed machine has a nose that extends in front of the cabin.

Gareth

Are we talking about the same photo? I meant the one in post #8, which I've attached again below. This one definitely has a nose platform, and no national markings.

Adrian

post-3755-1152402158.jpg

Adrian

Sorry, my mistake. I was referring to the upper photograph in the next post. The photograph you commented on is definitely the Grand when it was up on blocks while being repaired in St Petersburg in 1913. I love the searchlight on the nose!

Regards

Gareth