Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help with Medal cards

Guest Dave Neilson

Guest Dave Neilson

Hi Everyone,

I down loaded my great uncle's Medal Index Card. He served with the Scots Guards. When I received the image from the Archives office there were several William G McLeans. Are these all the same person ie were soldiers moved around units and then given a separate medal card for each unit?

The top left one, which I think is his does not list any info on where he served. I know he did go to the front because I have a picture of him with the mascot and on the back it says (to his wife) "I will be going to France tomorrow".

I have to pictures of him in uniform, one is full highland dress with kilt et al and bagpipes and a second one in a more traditional army uniform.

Any help to shed light on his service would be greatly appreciated

Dave Neilson

Millbrook, ON, Canada

Hi David,

When you download a medal index card, you get six to a page. These are to six different soldiers. The best way to get help on what information is on the card is to post an image of it here.

Its fairly straightforward - copy the image of the card you think is your great-uncles, paste it into paint, resize it to about 30 or 40% and save it as a jpeg. As long as the image is less than 100kb you can post it on here.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing the photographs of your uncle in the highland uniform.

Welcome to the forum!

Barrie

Cards without dates or locations are usually for men who didn't get the 1914-15 Star (i.e. went overseas after 1-1-1916).

Since the Guards Regiments stayed together in the Guards Division it is reasonably easy to get an idea of where they served. See the Regiments link of the Long, Long Trail (link at the top of the page)

The good news for you is that the vast majority of the Guards Service Records are still available (most of the other Regiments lost theirs in the Blitz, the Guards ones were elsewhere).

You can write to Wellington Barracks to get a copy of his record if you wish. There will probably be a charge, but I'm sure it will be worth it.

Wellington Barracks

Birdcage Walk

London

SW1E 6HQ

Here is a recenet link discussing such records.

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...opic=53473&st=0

The other thing you need to know is what battalion of the Scots Guards he was in. This can be found on the Medal Rolls at the National Archives at Kew (in addition to on his Service Records). This may be difficult for you, so Service Records may be your best bet.

Steve.

Just looked up William McLean on the NA site.

Then checked SDGW for the Scots Guards.

I'm assuming your Great-Uncle survived.??????

10070 W McLean kia 25/1/15

5023 W McLean kia 14/6/15

Hope that narrows down who it isn't.

Medal card of McLean, William G

Corps: Scots Guards

Regiment No: 16308

Medal card of McLean, William

Regiment No: 11699

Medal card of McLean, William

Regiment No: 10070