Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Index Cards

wilkokcl

Is it true that on the reverse of the MICs (not visible online) is the address that the person's medals were sent to?

Mark.

As far as i know about 10% had addresses on the back.

There were several threads on this when the cards were threatened with destuction.

Thank you for that - I did a search and felt sure this topic must have been discussed but couldn't find any threads that answered this question. I'll look again......

Thanks,

Mark.

There are supposed to be addresses on the back of a few of the cards. Rumour varies the % from 1% to 10%.

I imagine it is more likely the cards which have "Rtd" or "Adjt" (Returned/Adjusted) on the Remarks section that would most likely have details.

As far as I am aware there is no facility available to review the cards themselves. They are merely in storage.

Steve.

Thanks for the info Stebie - maybe one day they will be released from storage and we'll know for sure. It would be very useful for my research if they did have addresses on them.

There were several threads on this when the cards were threatened with destuction.

Can anyone give me a link to them? I've searched again and still can't find a thread on this topic. Who started the discussion?

Cheers,

Mark.

Hello

Im with Stebie, I thought it was more like 1% than 10% hence the reason not copied

Ian

As Steve said it is rumoured to be between 1 & 10%, no one knows for sure as they weren't copied I just went with what I was told at TNA. Even if it is 1% that is still 55,000 cards, which would have been very useful!

A problem with the digitisation is they copied from the copies, not the originals.