Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Channel 4, 11/10/2003 Kut surrender

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

Just saw the documentary on the television. It showed a semingly neglected cemetery, with grass as high as the grave stones and old rags strewn over the site.

This followed the piece on the siege of Kut and the British troops being marched to Baghdad. So it was unclear, but I am guessing near Baghdad, where this cemetery was located.

I am also guessing that this cemetery is now in better hands...??

Did anyone recognise the location, please?

Didn't see the documentary but British soldiers have been involved in the re-consecration of 2 WW1 cemetaries: Al Kut on 8 May this year, described as badly overgrown. At a second cemetary in Basrah, in which following years of neglect and deliberate desecration including the damage and destruction of hundreds of headstones, the QLR have begun salvaging the surviving headstones until CWGC can undertake a comprehensive reconstruction.

I may be able to get more detail if you want.

Regards

Simon K

Guest Pete Wood

Simon, thank you. I am merely curious - so please don't go out of your way. But if you do find out, please let us know.

The thing I noticed (at leasty I think I noticed) was that some of the headstones shown were very dark - and looked like recent replacements - yet the place was so badly neglected. Many of the original stones had great lumps missing out of them.

I am pleased to read that the troops are looking after the two places you mention. It sounds as though you might be stationed out there. Take care, if you are.