Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20th Bn., Royal Fusiliers

Nick Thornicroft

I have a 1/7/16 casualty who is said to have been serving with the 20th Royal Fusiliers when he fell, yet this unit is listed as having been disbanded in February, 1916. According to the SDGW, he was one of 10 O.R.s of the same battalion who died on this date. Any ideas?

Many thanks

Nick,

According to 'British Regiments 1914-1918' by Brig. E. A. James, the 20th R.F. were disbanded on 16/02/1918. The 19th and 21st R.F. were both disbanded in 1916.

Regards

Gavin

Gavin

Thanks for that. The info about the disbandment was actually on this website.

Nick

Nick

Although 20 RF was not in action on 1 July a number of its men were attached to 7th Queens from early June 1916. I have come across one of them with regimental no 16400 who served 20 RF 31/5/16-16/6/16 and then moved to 7th Queens. The same happened to 8 RF, which was also not in action on 1 July but lost 15 men who were with 7th Queens on that day. Indeed, the 7th Queens war diary notes a draft of 100 Royal Fusiliers arriving on 3/6/16.

Charles M

Charles

An interesting piece of info, thank you. I had wondered how these 10 men of 20 R.F. lost their lives on 1/7/16 - I supposed it was due to shelling behind the lines.

Nick

• 11 months later...
Charles

An interesting piece of info, thank you. I had wondered how these 10 men of 20 R.F. lost their lives on 1/7/16 - I supposed it was due to shelling behind the lines.

Nick

Hi i have also got a casualty for this date to s/2506 Pte C G Wheeler KIA 01/07/16 from wandsworth i wanted info about why hes on the Loos Memorial i put it down to shelling also

cheers Neil

• 2 years later...
Nick

Although 20 RF was not in action on 1 July a number of its men were attached to 7th Queens from early June 1916. I have come across one of them with regimental no 16400 who served 20 RF 31/5/16-16/6/16 and then moved to 7th Queens. The same happened to 8 RF, which was also not in action on 1 July but lost 15 men who were with 7th Queens on that day. Indeed, the 7th Queens war diary notes a draft of 100 Royal Fusiliers arriving on 3/6/16.

Charles M

Is there any way of finding out who was transferred where. My grandfather Leonard Nolan was in the 20th RF when it was disbanded but I don't know where he went.

David

• 7 months later...
I have a 1/7/16 casualty who is said to have been serving with the 20th Royal Fusiliers when he fell, yet this unit is listed as having been disbanded in February, 1916. According to the SDGW, he was one of 10 O.R.s of the same battalion who died on this date. Any ideas?

Many thanks

There were 4 Battalions of the UPS (University and Public Schoolboys) - the 18th, 19th, 20th, and 21st of the Royal Fusiliers. The 20th was not disbanded until early 1918. The other three were, as you say, disbanded in February 1916. Anumber of conflicting reasons as to why that was - but happy to let you know if you are interested.

Regards,

David