Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

E.M.C. Barraclough

Vectis

Hi Everyone

Can anybody help me with information about Capt Edward Murray Conrad Barraclough? I have details of his service from 1st July 1918 to 15th Nov 1944 but very little else.

He doesn't seem to appear in the Navy List until 1918 yet his Seniority as a Lieutenant dates 15th February 1915.

Perhaps he was a ex Merchant Navy officer but not in RNR. any information on him, birth, death, service or home town, would be much appreciated.

Vectis

Hello Vectis

A quick preliminary answer for you for the moment.

Barraclough changed his name. He was born Edward Murray Conrad Wedemeyer. I don't have an answer at this moment why, but I would guess the name might have been too Germanic.

All best

don

Here's the announcment in the Gazette of his change of name:

I EDWARD MURRAY CONRAD BARRACLOUGH, heretofore called and known by the name of Edward Murray Conrad Wedemeyer von Eldagsen, a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, hereby give notice, that, by a deed poll dated the 15th day of July, 1918, duly executed and attested and enrolled in His Majesty's Supreme Court of Judicature on the 24th day of July, 1918, I formally and absolutely renounced and abandoned the said surname of Wedemeyer von Eldagsen and declared that In lien thereof I had assumed and adopted and intended thenceforth upon all occasions whatsoever to use and subscribe the name of Barraclough instead of Wedemeyer von Eldiagsen, and so as to be at all times thereafter called and known and described by the name of Barraclough

only.—Dated this 29th day of August, 1918.

E. M. C. BARRACLOUGH.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Also, London Gazette 13-2-1914

Admiralty, 12th February, 1914.

The undermentioned Acting Sub-Lieutenants have been promoted to the rank of Sub-Lieutenant in His Majesty's Fleet:—

Edward Murray Conrad Wedemeyer.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...&selHonourType=

Steve.

Hi Vectis,

I can add, that Mr. Wedemeyer/Barraclough during the war served on the following submarines:

E 53 as 1st Lt. (listed 06.05.17 and 15.06.17)

L 7 as 1st Lt. (listed 01.09.17 until 01.07.18)

C 21 as C/O (listed 01.08.18 and 01.09.18)

C 28 as C/O (listed 12.10.18 and 01.11.18)

If you have more exact dates on his appointments, please let us know :)

Oliver

Two other men changed their names from Wedemeyer to Barraclough towards the end of the War:

Philip Ernest Wedemeyer, to Philip Ernest Barraclough, 16-4-1919 (LG 25-4-1919)

Errol Rudolph Wedemeyer von Eldagsen, Captain Rifle Brigade, to Errol Shorrock Barraclough, 7-8-1918 (LG 13-8-1918)

Presumably brothers or father?

Steve.

Hello Vectis

Further on WEDEMEYER's career.

Midshipman on 15 January 1911.

He was appointed to BACCHANTE on 15 Jan 1911.

S/LT on 15 Jan 1914

Appointed to NEWCASTLE on 6 Feb 1914.

LT 15 Feb 1915.

Still in NEWCASTLE June 1916.

All best

don

Thank you very much Don, Steve and Oliver, that was the clue I was looking for!

I suppose his first names should have given me a clue, but being at seperate ends of my file I did not twig it.

Oliver; my dates are the same as yours, taken from the date of the first Nominal List in which they appear, I fear that the only place we would find the actual date is on their service record.

Many thanks again

Vectis