Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trip to Gallipoli - Sep 2006

delta

I have been asked to set up a trip to the Pensiula in Sep (18-22nd); first time I have been there so I am

amazed at the luck of in getting on such a tour.

I am looking for accommodation for a party of 24 on the penisula. The first place I contacted (no-names - no pack drill) is not replying to my e-mails. Can anyone suggest a suitablr place?

Stephen :D

Hi Stephen,

I'm not sure who you have tried to contact and have had no luck with, it might well be one of the hotels I have mentioned below.

If you want to stay on the peninsula, one place a lot of groups stay at is the Eceabat Hotel, operated by a Turkish-Australian couple, Ilhami & Bernina Gezici. I know that the Gallipoli Association and a number of British military groups have stayed there so far this year and were well pleased. The hotel is in the centre of the town of Eceabat on the Peninsula, so has access to other eateries and facilities in the town. The hotel has a roof top bar and restaurant, air con in the rooms, bluetooth and internet access in all rooms. The can also arrange culture nights involving authentic Turkish music and dance. Most of the staff speak English. Contact details below.

TJs TOURS

Eceabat Hotel

ECEABAT / TURKEY 17900

Ph: 90. 286. 8143121

Fx: 90. 286. 8143122

E-mail: gezici@excite.com

Another option used by a number of groups is the Kum Hotel, on the Aegean side of the Peninsula about seven kilometres or so from ANZAC Cove and about 18 from the beaches at Helles.

This hotel has full breakfast and dinner facilities, bar, cafe and shop, is right on a nice sand beach and also has a pool. Rooms are airconditioned, and lunch packs can be provided for tour groups. A number of the staff speak English. I have stayed there and can recommend it if you want a relaxing time after a day's hiking.

I haven't got the contact details next to me but a net search for Kum Hotel, Canakkale or Eceabat should do the trick.

It should be noted that the Kum is well out of the way, so dining and other options of an evening are limited. However, Kemal the owner and his staff have a fair bit of experience in catering to large numbers, the hotel also being very popular with Turkish tourists during the summer months.

For a group of the size you mentioned, these are probably the best options on the Peninsula. There is also the Panorama Pension down at Helles, run by Erol Baycan, a former head gardener of the CWGC, but I don't have his e-mail address to hand and I am not sure this beautiful pension, sited near the grave of Doughty-Wylie VC above V Beach can cater to such a large group (Kate, please advise). The Panorama is a family run affair, good home cooked food and is set in a lovely garden. Is probably the cheapest option but some facilities are limited.

Hope this is of some use.

Cheers

Bill

Dear Stephen,

3 hotels in the area can be suitable :

Eceabat Hotel : enquiries@anzacgallipolitours.com

Aqua Hotel : info@heyboss.com

Kum Hotel : info@hotelkum.com <info@hotelkum.com

cheers

eric

PS : If you can't get hold of them send me a PM.

Stephen

I've visited 3 times, once on recce and twice with largish military groups, and on each occasion been hosted by TJ and Bee. Last time stayed in the proprietor's newly acquired Eceabat Hotel. Excellent. Last group rank ranged private thru colonel. All were happy.

Hosts and their staff (hotel and guides) are excellent. And seriously well-informed folk, like Bill and his wife sup there too.

You could cross the water, but work out the potential time penalties.

Three trips, 3 successes. TJ's gets my vote. And I still owe Bill loads of ale for all his info.

Chris

:D

Thanx to all for the help (espeially those who PM'd me)

More to follow!

Stephen