Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bombing of Wigan

nicko576

I have recently found out that Wigan was bombed by zeppelins during ww1, can anybody enlighten me on this subject, all i know is that an iron foundry was hit

thanks nick

Nick

I read a piece about this recently on the PMSA website here, although it's actually relating to a monument in Widnes.

In total 17 bombs dropped by the L61 hit Wigan on 12th April 1918 from Preston street in the south up to the Crown Hotel in the north. Mainly residential areas were hit, but other bombs landed in fields, etc. There is still evidence today of some of the hits.

See "zeppelins Over Lancashire" by Peter Smith for a decent account of this event.

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

Nick

I just stumbled across the Wigan Heritage Service magazine "Past Forward", which carries an article on the raid.

See Page 6 of this document for details

Nick

I just stumbled across the Wigan Heritage Service magazine "Past Forward", which carries an article on the raid.

See Page 6 of this document for details

Thanks Stephen..

Very interesting

Nick

• 1 year later...

Hi, The monument you are referring to is a milestone that was damaged by shrapnel from a bomb jettisoned by the Zeppelin as it passed over Bold, it has since been removed from it`s position in Victoria Park and I presume is in storage, contact Halton Borough Council on 0151 424 2061. Soldier75

Thanks Stephen..

Very interesting

Nick