Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S.S. "Seqaqh Castle" ?

Lörscher

Hi all,

according to informations from an TNA-file, the above mentioned steam-ship sailed in an convoy Oran - Gibraltar on 01./02.12.1917 which was attacked by U 34. I'm not able to identify this ship, but the spelling possibly/obviously is not correct.

Anyone can help ???

Oliver

Oliver,

One possibility would be a ship of the Union-Castle Line, pretty much all of which would end in "Castle." I don't see an obvious match though. A fleet list is here: http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/ucastle.html

The other company that seemed to use "Castle" in their names was the Lancashire Shipping Co. I haven't come across a fleet list for them.

Best wishes,

Michael

Oliver,

Do you have a copy of the page that mentions this ship? If you post a scan of it, someone may be able to decipher the name.

Mick

PS I see that you're in Trier. I lived in Biewer for 9 months in 1975 - which I'm now horrified to realise is 31 years ago.

Hi Mick,

wow, a realy small world it is!

I had to go to work in Ehrang until 2002 (and so had to pass through Biewer everyday), now I'm employed more closely to my home in Euren (you may know this parts from Trier) :)

Unfortunately I only made a note of the informations within this file (its ADM 137 / 3341, loss of S.S. MINAS).

The MINAS also sailed in this convoy and was later lost to U 34.

U 34 had an torpedo fired at the "largest steamer of the convoy" which obviously is CHAKRATA (5682 g.r.t.), the other steamers in this convoy never got above 3500 g.r.t., but unfortunately SEQAQH CASTLE is the only ship I have NO g.r.t..

If it turns out that she was similar in size to CHAKRATA, I can't figure out the steamer which was missed by U 34 before she sank MINAS :(

I should have another look into this file on my next visit, as far as I can remember, there are 2 or even 3 listings of the vessels in this convoy, maybe one had an different name for me?

Oliver

PS: I was 6 years old in 1975 :D

Hi Oliver,

I'm afraid that, like Michael, I can't see any name in the Union Castle list that could be easily mis-written or mis-read as Seqaqh Castle. This may have to remain a mystery until you get another look at the file.

I haven't been back to Trier since 1975 - perhaps next summer (once all the football excitement has died down).

Mick

Oliver,

You could also try looking in the ADM 12 A&B indexes for 1917 to see if they have a match for the ship. Have you tried Lloyd's registry? I haven't found a match to the ship or of a castle of that name so far.

Per Ardua

Hi Per Ardua,

a friend of mine has a Lloyds, haven't found a match too.

So I had to check the file again, can't help it :(

Thanks

Oliver