Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London Scottish in the Great War

DMcNay

Just thought I'd post a wee message to say that this book is now available at a special price of £6 from Pen and Sword. My copy came in the other day and looks a good read.

So if anyone is looking for a bargain, check it out:

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/product.php?productid=93

(Are we allowed to do this? I have no affiliation with the company, I just though the Pals might appreciate notice of a discount)

It adds some personnal touches by veterans and many more phots from the main Regtl history

A good read. Much in the same vein as "The Civil Service Rifles in the Great War". A terrific addition to any Great War library...

Neil

A good read. Much in the same vein as "The Civil Service Rifles in the Great War".

And I picked that up the other week too! I'm looking forward to reading them. They're in the pile somewhere...

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

My local opinion about the book "The London Scottish".

1. The London Scottish never reached Messines..

2. They even not defended Messines, They had to hold positions who had nothing to do with Messines. The Germans tried to get at the Kemmelberg. So the London Scottish stopped the Germans for some hours..

3. And of course there's a ridge between Wytschaete and Messines, completely on Wytschaete territory. So Messines Ridge = wrong British geography...

4. I have a lot of German regimental accounts.. So the story about the bands playing : I can't believe it.

5. page 36-37 very confusing...

6. The nuns killed.... p. 38. All the nuns could escape....

7. The wind-mill ? no, a mill.

8. The picture on p. 40 There was not such a fighting.

9. The Bavarians were 'singing' German songs in order to let know their positions ( in the dark). ( in the houses of Messines)

My opinion : I have severe doubts...