Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hostilities FE 04/05/16

ororkep

While I am adapt at translating army MIC’s I have no experience of Navy ones, like the globally gook on this one of a G Uncle on my wife’s side. Therefore can any Navy experts enlighten me on: firstly what was his exact rank, I understood he was a wireless operator. 2) Was there a presumably HMS Pembrook and does anyone know anything about it, picture if possible or where I should look 3) Above this out of scan it says ‘Hostilities FE, 4th may 1916’: what might this refer to. And 4) below also out of scan there is a ‘Badge medal stamp’ but nothing is listed yet I know he had medals. I actually met this man at his 100th birthday party but I was then to young and not interested enough to ask him about his war service which I much regret. Any help greatly appreciated

Regards Paul

post-9366-1150361712.jpg

1) Rank = Senior Reserve Attendant, he served in sick bays.

2) HMS Pembroke I = Chatham Accounting base. In this case he probably served at Chatham hospital, but he could be on detached duty.

3) Hostilities FE = First Engagement, usually for 12 years but he signed on for the duration of the war, but to a Reserve unit so he could have kept serving.

4) His war medals would be listed on the medal roll in ADM 171 at Kew. He almost certainly got a British War Medal (most RN stations were counted as qualifying) he has a pair then he served overseas.

Paul,

Jun RA = Junior Reserve Attendant

SRA = Senior Reserve Attendant

Serving in the Royal Naval Auxiliary Sick Berth Reserve.

Service as Junior Reserve Attendant will be reckoned as service as Sick Berth Attendant.

Service as Senior Reserve Attendant will be reckoned as service as Leading Sick Berth Attendant.

Regards Charles

Paul,

A little more, as he received the 5.00 Pounds gratuity it would suggest that he was already a member of the reserve and was mobilized 4th May 1916, does this fit with his age? Here’s an extract from the Order in Council of 19th November, 1902, the establishment of a Royal Naval Auxiliary Sick Berth Reserve:

4. A gratuity of £5 will be paid to each man on being called out provided that he is medically fit.

Regards Charles

Thank you all for your expert informative replies. He was born in 1896 so enlisted young. I was pleasantly surprised how the Navy MIC’s give so much information with full addresses and pre enlistment occupation, than their Army counterparts; they are really a service record/MIC combined. I had originally thought that hostilities FE referred to the far East, so I could not have been more wrong. Whats the procedure with regard to files F114, is it based on service numbers, name? Thanks again

Paul

Paul,

lost me on... "Whats the procedure with regard to files F114, is it based on service numbers, name?" what contex is this in? maybe Per has an idea.

RegardsCharles

Sorry Charles, slight hiccup there, as I could not translate the bad PDF type abbreviations out of scan at the bottom of the page. I now realise it reads MRP 171 which I assume is Medal Roll Page 171.

Thanks again Paul