Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nursing Sister E.E.Yates,V.A.D.

Cliff. Hobson

I picked up the following from the local paper , "reported the 9th November 1917, that Nursing Sister E.E. Yates of Cliff House, Whitwell has been included in the Honours Lists for her services in France."

Could someone please point me in the right direction to find details of her service and what honours she may have been awarded. I am particularly intrigued by this because I delivered papers to Cliff House 1937 period to a Mrs Hunt ( a long time tenant )whom I believe may be the same E.E.Yates

Regards Cliff.

Cliff

In the title of the thread you've put 'VAD' but it isn't mentioned in the clip from the newspaper - does it actually say that? If Miss Yates was a Nursing Sister then she would not normally, in wartime, have the initials VAD attributed to her - it would suggest she was a trained nurse serving with either the British Red Cross Society/St. John, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service Reserve, or the Territorial Force Nursing Service.

As she served overseas [in whatever capacity] she is likeley to have received service medals, and if so would have a MIC. There are several 'E. Yates' to choose from, though some have a different initial. Ignoring the middle initial, there are 4 files at the NA to various 'E Yates' [QAIMNSR and TFNS] and it might be a good idea to have a look at these to see if any of them match.

I wonder if the 'Honours List' refers to the award of the RRC or ARRC - it sounds likely. If so she would appear in the London Gazette, but searching is never easy - at that stage in the war I think any 'honour' was more likely to be bestowed on a trained nurse than on a VAD.

[in retrospect, the last bit of that sentence was said in haste, and is quite possibly complete rubbish!]

Sue

Edited by Sue Light

Sue ,

Many thanks for sharing your expertise with me,, the title in the newspaper did have V.A.D. in it, but I will now take it with a pinch of salt the local paper did tend to gild the lily a bit, the thought never occurred to me that there would be a M.I.C. for her so thank you again. I note your information re. the London Gazzette I have surfed it before looking for D.C.M.s and M.M.s and its not easy.

Kind regards Cliff.

Cliff

There is one VAD among those MICs, so by eliminating the women who have files at the NA you might be left with the VAD after all - I'll check the QA/TFNS women next time I'm at the NA.

Sue

I had a check on the mics the other day when this was first posted and thought that she could have been the following.

Medal card of Yates, Edith Lizzie*

Corps: Territorial Force Nursing Service

* Elizabeth

Myrtle

Myrtle,

Thank you for your post it certainly looks a great possibility with the initials of two ' E's, I am presently checking the 1901 census to see if I can get further information.

Regards Cliff.

Cliff

I had a look at the two most likely files at the NA today. One seemed a definite no - a woman whose file is in the name of Elizabeth Yates, Territorial Force Nursing Service, but she worked as Elizabeth Chesnall, and then left on marriage in 1918 [to Mr. Yates]. She worked throughout at No.1 Western General, Fazakerley.

The other, the one mentioned by Myrtle, is Edith Lizzie Yates,QAIMNS Reserve. She was born in Eye, Peterborough, the daughter of Joseph Yates, a schoolmaster, of The Limes, Eye, but was living and working in London at the time she joined the service in 1915.

If neither of these fit the bill - and it doesn't look hopeful - perhaps it would be worth an enquiry to the British Red Cross Society Archives, to see if they have anything on her.

British Red Cross personnel records

Sue

Sue,

Many Thanks for your reply and for the trouble you have gone to it is very much appreciated, I will follow the link you have suggested .

Kind regards Cliff.