Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Voices in Flight - out Now!

vervos

1844153991.jpg

The publication of this book has been brought forward and it is available now.

It has been well worth the wait, and is a rattling good read!

Cheers,

Vervos

Thanks for sharing this information of what looks to be a great book. I know its early days but can any members give a review or has anyone had an insight to its contents?

Thanks.

Mike.

Thanks for sharing this information of what looks to be a great book. I know its early days but can any members give a review or has anyone had an insight to its contents?

Thanks.

Mike.

Mike...

I reviewed the Malinovska book some short time ago on this forum. Copy below.

Cheers,

Bob

The interviews presented here were originally commissioned by RAF Hendon as a series of video portraits of First World War aviators. After nearly three decades, their re-issue in this format is indeed welcome.

Malinovska’s project was dauntless to a fault. Breaching the conservative and reactionary male stronghold of aviation historians, she was more than equal to her commission. Her subtle approach and scholarly method were a heady admixture which few if any of her interviewees could resist; rejuvenated, they related countless graphic and compelling reminiscences.

These men hailed from markedly diverse backgrounds and had many varied rôles in the RFC and the RNAS – fighter pilots and telegraphers; engineers and riggers; observers, bombers and prisoners of war. The book is cogently, seamlessly edited but the interviews are redolent with each man’s particular tone and characteristics of expression. Of especial note are the interviews with the renowned aeroplane designer Sir Thomas Sopwith, Hamilton ‘Tim’ Hervey, who was instrumental in the foundation of MI9 to assist prisoners of war, and Fred Lang, who was mechanic to Albert Ball, VC, Britain’s most illustrious ace. The book is generously illustrated with many previously unpublished photographs.

All serious enthusiasts ought to add this book to their collection. Approaching ninety years after the height of the conflict, its timing of publication is propitious. Given the nature of its material, the volume is unparalleled, and has certainly enriched the literature of the first aerial war.

Robert Robbins

Thank-you Bob, I will certainly look at getting a copy asap as it looks to be a great read!

Kind Regards.

Mike.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just begun reading this and can heartily recommend Mrs Malinovska's researches.

It is perhaps all the more poignnant that the RAF Museum's delay in allowing this to become public means that these voices truly are now all speaking from the grave. Thank heaven their memories were so well recorded in the nick of time.