Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trooper Rose, 9 LHR

Bob Doneley

A friend's grandfather was 1043 Trooper Edwin Rose, 9th Light Horse Regiment. He was captured by the Turks on the 9th Aug, 1916, and returned to Australia in 1918. I have viewed his files at the National Archives, but there is little/no information regarding the circumstances of his capture.

Would anyone (that means you, in partcular, Bill) have any information. My friend has little knowledge of her grandfather, and her father (Rose's son) always wanted to know more about his Dad.

Many thanks in advance,

Bob

Guest Bill Woerlee

Bob

G'day mate

I can't give you a huge amount of detail but what I can do is give you an exerpt from my soon to be finished work on the 9th which explains the circumstances and in so doing contains a reference to Rose.

At 3am Wednesday 9 August 1916, the 9th moved out to take over the outpost line held by the 8th with a view of advancing against the Turks who were strongly entrenched around Hod el Bada. By 6am the 9th reached the front line about 2km east of Hod Hasanein. The Turks could clearly see all the movements of the light horse and let hell rain upon them. The 8th Light Horse was unable to retire for replacement and indeed the attack was so fierce, C Squadron commanded by Major McKenzie was ordered to protect the right flank while the balance of the regiment supported the centre. When this deployment was completed it was realised that a gap of 2km between them and the Canterburry Mounted Rifles who were advancing on Bir el Abd. The New Zealanders were disgusted by the lack of commitment shown by the 3rd Light Horse Brigade for this was the second time their flanks had been exposed by the Australians of this unit. They sent a seething message to Antill who finally showed some sense of urgency and ordered Major Siekman to take B Squadron and fill the gap. Touch was gained with the New Zealander’s right flank at Bir el Birdeih by A Troop of B Squadron. The moment might have been saved but the quality of the Regiment was very much called into doubt.

To the south Chauvel wanted to cut the Turkish lines of communications by unleashing a Mobile Column composed of two squadrons 11th LH, the City of London Yeomanry and about two companies of ICC together with ambulance and other services. They were moving to Hod el Bayad which was controlled by the Turks. After a sharp battle, the Turks retreated leaving the mobile column in control of Hod el Bayd for that day until the next morning when they attacked and retook the hod. The consequence of this action created an imperative for the 3rd Light Horse Brigade to maintain their intensity in action against the Turks to divert the attention away from the Mobile Column. Assisting the Brigade was the Inverness Battery who held up a Turkish counter attack in the morning and another one in the evening.

The counter attack by the Turks in the evening was rapid and determined. They captured a section of A Squadron consisting of 1043 Private Edwin Burman Rose; 72 Sergeant Harold Sullivan; 1601 Lance Corporal Percy George Scroop; and, 2311 Private Charles Daniel Patten. Sadly only Rose survived the war as a POW and this was mainly because he was wounded prior to capture and spent time in a hospital whereas the other men were placed in one of the disease ridden Turkish POW camps where they died of overwork and disease. Sullivan himself was subjected to torture but refused to divulge any military information. Although asked about the leadership of the Brigade and Regiment, Sullivan consistently stated that he did not know this information. His interrogator, a German NCO, in a moment of pique stated that as a sergeant he should surely know this information. Sullivan replied “I don’t know for you”. The German had Sullivan placed in front of a machine gun with the threat that if he failed to talk, he would be shot. It was a tense moment but he called the bluff and he was taken away.

After the Turkish attack was beaten off, the 9th counterattacked them. It was here that a shameful act of treachery occurred. C Squadron was within about 200 metres of the Turkish line when the men in the trenches hoisted a white flag to signify their desire to surrender. Since the white flag and the red cross had been honoured by the Turks, Lieutenant Robertson left cover and proceeded forward to take the surrender. He was half way to the Turkish trenches when some Turks opened fire on him, riddling his body with several shots. As he lay on the ground wounded, there was no doubt that he was to be rescued. The problem lay in his weight – Robertson weighed over 85kg which was not an easy load to move under fire. The appropriately named Titan Barrington, one of the strongest men in the 9th volunteered for the task. He dodged bullets from a machine gun and several rifles to reach Robertson. When he reached Robertson, Barrington slung Robertson over his shoulders in a fireman’s carry and made for his own lines. As he was doing so a couple Turks sensing an easy capture left their lines to grab the two men. Firing on both sides ceased as the chase was on. Barrington was running with his load while the Turks thought they had a chance to capture him. But it was not to be. Barrington reached the safety of the lines without any injury. At the same time that Barrington was bringing in Robertson, Neyland brought up Robertson’s horse so when Barrington arrived, Robertson was placed on his horse and taken to the field ambulance under intense fire. It must be remembered here that there was no shelter so anything standing above a metre was fair game so the action of Neyland required tremendous courage. Robertson recommended Barrington and Neyland for a VC and DCM respectively before he died the following day. This application was supported by Lieutenant Colonel LC Maygar VC and Major McLaurin, commander and second in commmand respectively of the 8th Light Horse Regiment. Sadly, nothing came of the recommendation.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bill

Bob

G'day mate

I can't give you a huge amount of detail but what I can do is give you an exerpt from my soon to be finished work on the 9th which explains the circumstances and in so doing contains a reference to Rose.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Bill

Bill,

This is exactly what I was after! I knoew you'd come thropugh.

Many thanks,

Bob