Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Military Medal to US Army Nurse Corps

Sue Light

In an earlier thread about Military Medals to women, it emerged that the award was given to 2 American nurses during the Great War. I've just found the details lurking on my hard drive, so thought I would put them here. This extract comes from a document at the National Archives [WO222/2134] and this section is titled:

Report on the work of the American Nurses (U.S.A.N.C.) serving with the B.E.F. in France

In May 1918, the Military Medal was awarded to two Nurses of the U.S.A.N.C.

Miss E. J. Parmalee (5th Harvard Unit) No.11 General Hospital

Miss B. Macdonald (Presbyterian Unit) No.1 General Hospital

Miss Parmalee had been on night duty at No.11 General Hospital during a bombing raid in September 1917. The ward in which she was working was hit, an orderly beside her killed, and her wrist watch cut off at the strap. She continued working all night, and only reported next morning in the operating theatre to have a small fragment removed from her eyelid. There were about a dozen holes in her garments.

Miss Macdonald as already stated was wounded at No.61 C.C.S. in August 1917, whilst on team duty. She was on night duty in the operating theatre, and was wounded by an exploding bomb dropped by enemy aircraft. A fragment penetrated her right eyeball causing instant blindness. ‘At the time of the raid, before being wounded, she displayed conspicuous gallantry and continued at her duty in the operating theatre until she was wounded.’ This lady holds the R.R.C. 2nd Class, the Military Medal and the American Distinguished Service Order.

If anyone is interested in the whole piece, drop me an email.

Sue

Hi Sue,

The American award earned by Miss MacDonald is most likley the Distinguished Service Medal, give me a day or so (I'm away from my books) and I should be able to give you the citation for the award.

Neil

Thanks Neil, that would be most welcome, especially as I'm totally clueless about American medals and awards.

Sue

Beatrice MacDonald, ANC Evac. Hospital No. 2 AEF.

Croix de Guerre with Bronze Star under Order No. 19.760 "D" dated 24 June 1919.

Royal Red Cross 2nd class List No. 40 dated 18 July 1919.

British Military Medal List No. 27 dated 3 September 1918

Awarded DSC by War dept. 27 February 1919 Published in G.O. No. 17 WD 1926

Awarded Purple Heart 1 April 1936 as a consequence of wounds received 17 August 1917.

Eva Parmalee's account of the incident for which she received her MM is printed in the History of American Red Cross Nursing, by Lavinia Dock and others, MacMillan, 1922.

Norman

I was wrong it is (as Gordon posted above) a DSC not DSM:

Beatrice Mary MacDonald France August 17, 1917 Resided New York NY born in Canada. Reserve Nurse Army Nurse Corps.

Awarded the Distinguished Service Cross:

For extraordinary heroism while on duty with the surgucal team at the British Casualty Clearing Station no. 61, British area, France August 17, 1917. During a German night air raid she continued at her post of duty caring for the sick and wounded until seriously wounded by a German bomb, thereby losing one eye.

Neil

Thanks both of you

Norman - that answer definitely gives me one of those 'inadequate' moments :unsure:

So does that add up to Beatrice MacDonald being the most decorated American woman of the Great War - or were there others?

Sue

A little googling has produced six women who earned the DSC in WWI. However when cross-referencing with the American Decorations 1862-1926 I can only confirm 4:

Jane Jeffrey

Beatrice M MacDonald

Helen Grace McClelland who cared for Miss MacDonald and according to the Ohio service records also earned a 'British Royal Reduced Cross' which I figure is a scanners interpretation of a British Red Cross award.

Isabelle Stambaugh.

Miss Parmalee is listed as a DSC recipient online, but I can't find a citation.

It would certainly seem that if Miss MacDonald was not the most highly decorated American woman in WWI, she was certainly in the running!

There was a farily recent article in Camaraderie the Journal of the US WFA regarding a nurse who earned the DSC, I am inclined to think it was about Miss MacDonald. If one of the other US pals doesn't check it out first, I will poke around and see if I can locate my copy.

Neil

...according to the Ohio service records...

Nice cross reference and plug for your newly aquired Ohio Service records. Almost makes me wonder if this wasn't a set up.... :lol:

Andy

Nice cross reference and plug for your newly aquired Ohio Service records. Almost makes me wonder if this wasn't a set up.... :lol:

Andy

Let me have my moment, will ya!

:D

Hi Sue,

I tracked down the article and it relates to Isabelle Stambaugh, I will happily forward you a copy, if you wish.

Neil

Neil

Thanks - I'll send an email address off list - and I won't ever say a word about the money you sent me to give you a lead in to the Ohio service records! :ph34r:

Sue

Sue,

Seeing as you are still speaking to me, I gather you haven't tried to cash that check.

:ph34r::lol:

Neil

I'd never have tried to cash it - I've already had it framed as a rare and wonderful item! :rolleyes:

Sue