Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mystery VAD?

bobbluesboy

I have a British Silver War Medal standard issue worded as follows on the rim."S.STRATTER VAD".At National Archives on line there is no MIC listed for this VAD worker.The medal is quite genuine with original wording as above in the correct manner.Are all allied VAD,s listed on National Archives or do Australians,South Africans,Canadians,etc, appear on their own lists held in those countries.Any help appreciated,cheers Bob.

In memory of Rifleman Melbourne Kaberry Kings Royal Rifle Corps/254th Tunnelling Company.KIA 17/6/16.Remembered with honour in making the ultimate sacrifice for his country.

Hi Bob

there is a VAD called S Stratton, could it be dodgy medal naming? Or where the medals named from the cards? I do not know could be a case of bad handwriting being used to name the medal in that case. Or did the cards get made out after the medal was named? :blink:

Either way have a look here:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...esultcount=9610

Regards

Paul.

I don't know about South African VADs.

We had a thing called the South African Military Nursing Service. I have an authentically issued single British War Medal to a member of this unit - it is named quite simply S/Nurse E. M. Stephen.

I can find no reference to a STRATTER at the National Archives of South Africa website.

FWIW

William

So far as I am aware no medals were issued with the V.A.D. impressed on them. So I would question the validity of the medal that you have or perhaps a late issue. Archer - the South African Military Nursing Service were a properly formed unit and medals, impressed in the way that you mention, is perfectly correct.

Jim I think your wrong about VAD medals as Ive seen at least 2 other pairs which are impressed with VAD .

GAreth