Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

PO George Charles Parrott

HarryBettsMCDCM

Reading "A Book of Trials" by the Rt Hon;Sir Travers Humpreys,I found this,which might enthuse someone with an interest in the world of Subtefuge & Spying;the tale of 41 Year Old;[140771?]WO George Charles Parrott;in charge of the Rifle Ranges @ Sheerness,Kent;who in 1912 had gone to Ostend,on the pretext of visting "A Lady",but in fact was meeting up with Members of the Imperial German Navy & selling secrets @ £5.0s.0d a time,his Bank Account showed many deposits of £5 & £35 in Gold was found in his Rooms,caught with his fingers in the Till Parrott maintained the money borrowed was a loan being repaid by the German Family,that he had lied about "A Lady" [who didnt exist!} as he didnt want Mrs Parrott to find out about Her & that was his reason for going to Ostend.

For going abroad without permission he was discharged from the Royal Navy,as he had been reported by the Authorities who were watching him keenly,without causing him to stop,allowing the spooks to follow & trap him.He was sentenced {somewhat lightly} to 4 years Hard Labour.

I note that a Record of Service of a 140771 George Charles Parrott b.5 April 1871 Cheltenham Gloucs.is listed on the NA,if it is his it should make interesting reading!

140771 George Charles Parrott was promoted to Acting Gunner (warrent officer rank) in 1895, where the online record stops, transferring to officers records. I haven't traced his service through the Navy List or gone looking for those records, but by 1913 he was probably a Commissioned Gunner or even a Lieutenant.

Hello

George Charles Parrott is in the February 1912 NAVY LIST as a Gunner with seniority of 1 Sep 95. He is shown in VICTORY. He does not appear in the 1914 NAVY LISTs as active or retired.

All best

don

I have jus re~read the opening of the chapter of the "Trials" book,it does state he was a Warrant Officer in the Navy!

presumably if he was serving 4 Years Hard Labour @ His Majesties Pleasure,from 1913,he wouldn't be shown so,on the Navy Lists???