Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Europe's Last Summer

Dikke Bertha

I am reading this at the moment. It is very interesting and concentrates on the Berlin Vienna situation and rather less on London, Paris, Moscow.

There are quite a lot of interesting facets such as Balkan politics, relations between Berlin and Vienna, the background to Princep (who actually murdered the Archduke), the archduke himself and his relationship with the Kaiser, the reaction- or rather absence of reaction - to the assassination, the bumbling in Vienna, the attempts to localise the conflict and the attitudes of the German General Staff.

Does anybody else have views on this book??

I just purchased this book, and have skimmed through it a bit--looks to be very interesting. Of course, I cheated and looked in the back, it looks as if Moltke catches a fair bit of the blame for the war.

Oops, I gave the ending away :o

Dikke - Glad to see your post about this book. I have seen it on the shelves, but never picked it up. That is deals with central Europe more than the traditional western events is good to know and makes it more appealing. Britian/France's march to war is well tread (pun intended), Austria and Germany are less heard of in the English speaking world.

Andy