Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SEE HOW THEY RAN , THE BRITISH RETREAT OF 1918

Terry Carter

I have just started reading this book. I came across a 1975 paperback edition quite cheap.

As most of my WW1 reading seems to concern the Somme battles of 1916, I have not read much on the British retreat of March 1918. So far it has been a really interesting read and I recommend it.

Terry

:lol: seems to have happened to a few overnight. Got the book too, so am looking forward to your impression - if the bug dont bite again that is

Eh? Wheres it gone? Am I having a pre-senior moment or what? :blink:

ANyway, the book; I agree Terry. Its a good mix of the feeling and actions of the Generals down to the men & paints a good picture of what they endured. Also recomended by moi.

Edited by steve fuller

I am just finishing Malcolm Brown's IWM book of 1918.

Amazing what happened in that year.

'See How They Ran' , which I read in a cheap paperback edition when I was a teenager was the main reason I became interested in 1918, which is still shamefully neglected in comparison to 1916 and 1917 in particular. There are quite a few good books which complement it. such as 'Amiens 1918' by Blaxland, 'To Win a War' by Terraine and Malcolm Brown's excellent recent book already mentioned. My one criticism with Moore's book is that it fizzles out at the end, almost as if the manuscript had been clumsily abridged before publication.

This was also my first book on 1918 and I was surprised by what happened to the BEF.

A more recent book is The German Offensive of 1918 by Martin Kitchen where some very direct things are said about the British army and its generals. It is a book I would recommend for a better overview of the campaign.

The best book however is No Man's Land by John Toland which covers the whole year.

I agree that 1918 is a much overlooked year. It was particularly eventful for the British army, which went way back during the German spring offensive and pushed ahead in the last Hundred Days.

Malcolm Brown's and John Terraine's books on that period are on my shelves and I'd add Martin Middlebrook's "the Kaiser's Battle" to the recommendations.

Dikke Berta, can you give further information on the John Toland book? Sounds like an interesting addition to my wish list.

Gloria

Anybody read 'RETREAT - A story of 1918' (1930)by Charles Benstead?

A novel covering the story of a padre; Reverend Eliott Pethwick Warne MA :unsure: during the Retreat of the British Fifth Army 21st March 1918

gporta

No Man's Land was published I think some time in the 1980's..??? I am not too sure about that. I am nowhere near my bookcase at the moment but I could check later in the week and post again if necessary.

It is written by John Toland and is truly excellent. I really like his style of writing. It deals with the whole year from all perspectives - not just the British. The French victories and the American battles are well described and I used the maps from the book when reading "The German Offensive 1918" by Martin Kitchen.

I cannot recommend this book too highly and I am sure that others will agree. I have seen it on eBay and am sure some of the book dealres could get you a copy.

I loved Malcolm Browns 1918, Lyn Macdonalds To The Last Man, John Terraine's To Win a War and Martin Middlesbrook's Kaiser's Battle and really look forward to getting hold of See How They Ran.

Have any of you others read Martin Evans's 1918 Year of Victories? I was rather disappointed with this book. Huge tracts of qoutes. Sometimes this can be a good thing, but 8 pages at a time was too much. Also found this to be too focused on the American entry into the war as if targeted at a a US audience despite Evans being British. Anybody else read this book or thought the same?

Dikke Berta and Audax, thanks for the info and tips on the book.

I have a few other books in my 1918-theque: an interesting memoir "Men of 18 in 1918" by F H Hodges, and Tim Travers' "How the War Was Won" (which I still have to finish reading).

There's some bibliography about the Last Hundred Days in this thread .

BTW, I have a copy of a book by Ettighoffer "Sturm 1918" around, but until I learn German I'm afraid I can do little else beyond looking at the pictures... anyone has read it? (so I can have an idea)

Gloria

Audax......"Retreat" yep, oldie but goodie. Published in 1930 and not well known by the mob.

Interesting reading, padre and all.

Bought it many years ago from an old WFA member, now deceased.

DrB

:)

I prepared a presentation for my local WFA branch titled '1918 The Forgotten Year'. Trying to put all of 1918 into a one hour presentation without it becoming a boring mass of facts, figures and maps was a major effort. The members said they enjoyed it (being typical northerners they don't mince words - if they want to moan they don't backstab, its straight through the chest), and none of them fell asleep.

I used a lot of books for research and found the best to be '1918 The Unexpected Victory' by J H Johnson.

Sean

You might notice that '1918: Year of Victories' by Marix Evans gets nominated as the worst Great War book by some Pals on another current thread! I have flicked through it and my immediate impression was of a hastily produced 'cut and paste' potboiler. Probably being very unfair.

I noticed the thread just after I posted on here. Having stuck the book out on principle, I can say you are being entirely fair.