Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Battle of the Scarpe April 1917

Guest A Mafia Man

Guest A Mafia Man

Assistance required please.

I am looking for the Order of Battle for the 15th Division for the 1st Battle of the Scarpe.

In particular, where each Battalion lined up in relation to the objective, i.e. Left, Centre, Right or Reserve.

Any advise or guidance, or other information on this, would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Joe

Joe,

I'm awaiting their History from N&MP but Royal Scots History talks about the 12th RS being left hand Battalion on the attck on Blangy and the 15th & 16th RS as being in the sewer which leads out of Arras towards Blangy.

When I get my copy of the History I'll look it up for you. (Unless some pal has an original copy!!)

I have map of the deployment of the divisions at Arras if you want.

Aye

Malcolm

44th and 45th Brigades were in the front line, and I have a note that 13th RS were on the left flank; however, I will be back at my Official History maps etc next week and will look the details up, and post if no-one has already come forward with the info.

Guest A Mafia Man

Paul & Malcolm

Thank you both very much for your postings, and the offers.

Yes I would be grateful for any other snippets of information that either of you, or any other Pals, can come up with, especially concerning the 'triangle' area.

Many thanks

Joe

Front assault battalions, right to left.

44th Brigade:

8/10 Gordons

9 Black Watch. They had their left on the railway line.

45th Brigade:

6/7th Royal Scots Fusiliers, with their right on railway line.

11th Argylls

13th Royal Scots.

Latter two in front of Blangy. Royal Scots left was some way south of Scarpe.

Support battalions

44th Bde

7th Camerons close up behind 9th Black Watch

8th Seaforths, echeloned back towards Arras, north of St Sauveur

45th Bde

6th Camerons, west of Blangy

Reserve:

46th Bde in Arras

Guest A Mafia Man

Malcolm

Ref the scans, if it is not too much trouble for you I would very much

appreciate the information.

Chris

Fantastic information. Exactly the type I am looking for.

As I have said earlier, I am trying to sort through the 'Order of Battle

for the 15th Div at the 1st Battle of the Scarpe, trying to establish which Bn was where, for how long, their gains & losses etc, hence the request.

Once again, thank you all for the offers & the information.

Kind Regards

Joe

PS Please be aware that thanks to BT & their contractors my access to the web is severley restricted. If you have not received any email replies from me it is not for the want of trying ! Hopefully normal service will be resumed as soon as possible.

:(

Jo,

On the electronic wizardry here i have a copy of the disposition map for the Ist day at Arrass from the 15th Division history, which indicates the position of all the battalions in the division. I will attempt to email it to you . If unsuccessful, try emailing me direct

The 13th RS ( the only RS battalion in the division were on the left of 45th brigade, deployed 2 coys forward, with 2 coys in reserve besdie the 6th Camerons. The left flank at this time was on the south bank of the Scarpe.

From various of the unit histories and memoires, the division deployed through a series of sewers/tunnels, and through the Arras cemetery.

Adam

• 2 years later...
The 13th RS ( the only RS battalion in the division were on the left of 45th brigade, deployed 2 coys forward, with 2 coys in reserve besdie the 6th Camerons. The left flank at this time was on the south bank of the Scarpe.

Adam

Adam,

I'd greatly appreciate any info on this ( My Granddad Pte William Martin 23304 served with 13th Battln)if you still have it.

Thanks

Willie