Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

This one is specially for Annette

the german

Hi Hinrich

Thanks for taking the time to remember those from the other side. One day I hope to vitist Ypres and Langemarck areas, and when I do I'll be visiting Langemarck German Cemetery for sure.

By the way did you have a good visit.

Annette

• Admin

I think the Cemetery got its name from a nearby farm building that was in no mans land for much of the war.

Michelle :blink:

According to CWGC, "No Man's Cot Cemetery was named from a building on the south side of Admiral's Road, a little more than half way from Boesinghe to Wieltje. It was used from the end of July 1917 to March 1918. No Man's Cot Cemetery contains 79 First World War burials. More than half of the graves are of officers and men of the 51st (Highland) Division. The cemetery was designed by W H Cowlishaw".

Hinrich - I'll make sure I visit Langemark during my trip next month and honour your side.

Also, thanks for the item. It has pride of place in the collection :)

I still don't think you have more hair than me, yours is darker that's why it appears you have more :lol:

Annette

I hope, the heavy wind on Saturday did not blow it away.

Unfortunately, the weather on Friday, Sunday and partially on Monday was bad.

Nevertheless we visited the four German cemeteries in Langemark, Menen, Hooglede, Vladslo and of course my favourite - "No mans cot".

A part of the wall, that surrounds the cemetery, had crashed, but a sign said that they are working on it.

Then we took a long walk in the Hooge/Bellewaerde area, where the I.R. 126 and R.I.R. 248 fought in 1914/1915. Fascinating to walk around the Hooge crater (s). Unfortunately the former trenches northeast of the crater (of special interest for us), are today covered by the huge water slide of the Bellewaerde Park.

On Monday, we visited the Hill 60 and also had a long walk around. My special interest there is the fighting, that took place in late October / early November 1914, specially on November 17th 1914, when the Infanterie Regiment Nr. 78 tried to take the Hill. Standing there on the willow southeast of the Hill, I realized how small the place really is. On that day, the regiment had approximately 200 dead on this field and near the few houses of Zwarteleen. Another 400 were wounded. Almost unbelievable and very impressive.

So, we resisted the weather and after all it was a fantastic trip (and not the last one) to Flanders.

Lee

I think the card should be a part of your collection. Great, that it is of use to you.

Yes, you are right. Sometimes a little tint of black does wonders. You should try it! :D

Hinrich