Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMS Leinster.

Bob Coulson

Does anyone know of a casualty list for the sinking of the Leinster?

Isaac Hustwitt died 10/10/18 and is buried at Grangegorman Cemetery, I am assuming he was a casualty but would like to confirm.

Bob.

Bob - I think the memorial at Hollybrook Cemetery, Southampton, contains names of those missing in this episode. It was the one sunk in the irish Sea, wasn't it? If so, I am happy to take a picture(s) if you wish. PM me if you want. Steve

Use the forum search facility; there are several threads on this ship and the author of a recent book 'Torpeodoed!' on the subject (which contains a full passenger and casualty list) is a member of the forum (Philip Lecane, username Oak).

Regards,

Neil.

The Leinster, 2,646 grt, built 1897, defensively armed, was torpedoed on 10th October 1918 7 miles ESE from the Kish Lightship, in position 53 19N, 5 47W, by the German submarine UB 123. She was carrying passengers, travelling from Dublin to Holyhead and owned by City of Dublin Steam Packet Co Ltd-Dublin.

Best wishes

David

"Oak" Philip has now replied and confirmed my man was indeed a casualty of the sinking, he even included some other info on the Yorkshire Hussars in Ireland.

Good result, many thanks.

Bob.

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know of a casualty list for the sinking of the Leinster?

Isaac Hustwitt died 10/10/18 and is buried at Grangegorman Cemetery, I am assuming he was a casualty but would like to confirm.

Bob.

My grandfathers brother died on RMS Leinster and I have done a lot of research. The very best thing to do is first read "Torpedoed, The RMS Leinster Disaster" by Philip Lecane. A brilliant read. It contains a casualty list and Pte. Isaac Hustwitt is on it. He was in the Yorkshire Hussars. The body of my grandfathers brother was never recovered and his grave is the Irish Sea. 501 people died and I have loads more if you want it.

Regards,

Samuel.

My grandfathers brother died on RMS Leinster and I have done a lot of research. The very best thing to do is first read "Torpedoed, The RMS Leinster Disaster" by Philip Lecane. A brilliant read. It contains a casualty list and Pte. Isaac Hustwitt is on it. He was in the Yorkshire Hussars. The body of my grandfathers brother was never recovered and his grave is the Irish Sea. 501 people died and I have loads more if you want it.

Regards,

Samuel.

Samuel,

My wife's grandfather John Dolan, was a postal worker who died when the first torpedo hit the postal room. His son, Robert O'Dolan was 5 when it happened and remembers hearing his mother scream when she was given the news. He is now 93 and still cries when asked about it. I have done a bit of research and have been in contact with OAK about the subject. i would love to have access to any info you may have.

Thanks and regards Mike

Mike, this is the description of the Leinster sinking from Disasters at Sea by Charles Hocking:

"The steamship Leinster maintained the Irish-English service of her company throughout four years of the First World War. On the morning of October 10th, 1918, she left Kingstown for Holyhead with 680 passengers and crew under command of Capt. W. Birch. When only a few hours out she was torpedoed by a German submarine and sank with the loss of 480 lives. Two torpedoes struck the ship, the first exploding near the bow where 22 Post Office officials were engaged in sorting the mail. Of these men 21 were killed instantly. The second torpedo penetrated her engine room and killed and injured many persons. Capt. Birch had an eye blown out by splinters from the explosion and his leg smashed; he was pulled into a boat but was drowned when it capsized later. The weather was bad, with a very heavy sea, nevertheless an attempt was made to take the steamship in tow, while an S.O.S. was sent out. In response to this a destroyer came on the scene in time to rescue 33 persons, but too late to assist the Leinster, which had foundered in the meantime.At the time of the attack many passengers were lying in their berths owing to the rough sea, and there was much confusion when they rushed on deck. Several of the boats were got out too hurriedly and capsized."

Other reports I have seen quote the number of people on board as 720.

Hope this helps you to understand the circumstances.

Best wishes

David

Mike, this is the description of the Leinster sinking from Disasters at Sea by Charles Hocking:

"The steamship Leinster maintained the Irish-English service of her company throughout four years of the First World War. On the morning of October 10th, 1918, she left Kingstown for Holyhead with 680 passengers and crew under command of Capt. W. Birch. When only a few hours out she was torpedoed by a German submarine and sank with the loss of 480 lives. Two torpedoes struck the ship, the first exploding near the bow where 22 Post Office officials were engaged in sorting the mail. Of these men 21 were killed instantly. The second torpedo penetrated her engine room and killed and injured many persons. Capt. Birch had an eye blown out by splinters from the explosion and his leg smashed; he was pulled into a boat but was drowned when it capsized later. The weather was bad, with a very heavy sea, nevertheless an attempt was made to take the steamship in tow, while an S.O.S. was sent out. In response to this a destroyer came on the scene in time to rescue 33 persons, but too late to assist the Leinster, which had foundered in the meantime.At the time of the attack many passengers were lying in their berths owing to the rough sea, and there was much confusion when they rushed on deck. Several of the boats were got out too hurriedly and capsized."

Other reports I have seen quote the number of people on board as 720.

Hope this helps you to understand the circumstances.

Best wishes

David

Thanks for that David. Mike