Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

prize money

gem22

I recently came across a brief reference to a crew member receiving 18 shillings has his share of the prize money for sinking the Blucher. I had heard of this practice occurring in the days of sailing ships but had assumed it had stopped long ago. Obviously it hadn't stopped so what I would like to know is "When did such payments stop"? Also, "who decided the size of the prize and how was it shared out"? If more than one RN ship was involved in the sinking of an enemy did all RN ships involved get a share of the prize?

Just a little something for our experts to chew on.

RT you have 5 minutes starting------Now

Garth

Garth,

It has never stopped.

The practice of awarding 'prize' money is still alive and well today although it has been a long time since a Royal Naval vessel 'took' a prize. Normally it is in the form of salvage.( A 'Prize' denotes an enemy vessel taken over under force, or the threat thereof.)

Yes, any vessels involved would share the salvage/prize money and it would be shared out on the basis of seniority, as it always has been. ( Olden day Admirals became even more comfortably off from the exploits of their Squadron Captains and Commanders etc.)

The rates of salvage division are laid down officially and are awarded by the Admiralty based on the Insurance settlement. Prizes would be decided on by the value of the siezed vessel and any cargo etc.

I started a thread similar to this a few months ago, but it appears to have disapeared into the ether.

Records surrounding these payouts can be found in the London Gazette. A search for 'naval prize bounty' using the dates 1914-1920 will bring up all relevant prize and salvage announcements. Alteranatively, the Blucher prize info is in issue: 30131, 15 june 1917.

I trawled the gazette a few months ago logging all the prizes in an effort to narrow down the search for the ship that my Grandfather was on, as all I have to go by was a fragment of prize fund receipt...but no mention of the particular action it was awared for. Very tedious work I must say...but I've narrowed it down to 4 ships. Investigations are continuing. Life would be so much easier if his Merchant Marine records were'nt destroyed!

One thing that did strike me as strange though is the small number of prizes awarded compared to the actual number of vessels sunk or captured. The website below lists all U-boats sunk in WW1, yet it appears that less that half of these subs were involved the naval prize fund. Either that or the gazette is nowhere near complete.

http://www.gwpda.org/naval/sml00001.htm

Ian.

Ian and Hussar

Thanks for that. I was surprised to see that prize money is still awarded. I wonder how much you get for destroying a building in Baghdad, using a cruise missile?

Garth

Garth and Ian,

The whole point of 'Prize' or 'Salvage' Money is that the vessel itself has to be recovered reasonably intact. Sinking or destroying it may give you a feel good feeling but won't increase the bulge of your purse! One of the origins of the award came from the fact of 'obtaining' a seaworthy vessel at little cost to the Admiralty along with it's accoutrements i.e cannon, rigging, sheeting etc. that could then be re-named, turned around and sent out to fight it's erstwhile masters. The value of the prize purse would be reduced to cover the cost of any repair and/or refitting required to achieve this aim.

Probably one of the most interesting claims for prize money in WW1 was a claim by Frank Mitchell whose crew destroyed a German "Ship" but whose claim was eventually turned down after it had done the rounds of every War Office department you can think name and a few more beside.

Why?

Mitchell's ship was a "Land-Ship" or as we now know them a tank. He was the vistor in the first tank against tank battle damaging and immobilising a German A7V.

I would have loved to see a copy of his claim.

Regards,

Martin