Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Edward Campion Vaughan or Vaughn

paul guthrie

IIRC it is "Some Desperate Glory" - my copy is in storage at the moment so cant check.

OK Charles, great , now for the quiz. Who was Edward Campion? NO LOOKING IT UP OR INTERNET SEARCH? Got to be something you know. Free beer to winner next September Lanchashire Cheshire WFA meeting.

It's"Some Desperate Glory", but the author is (or rather, was) EDWIN CAMPION VAUGHAN (not Edward).

He was a subaltern in the Warwicks (48th Divn) at 3rd Ypres, and the book is his diary. Vaughan rejoined the army post-war, then the RAF, and died in 1931.

The book contained some harrowing scenes, is utterly brilliant, and my copy was published in 1985 (paperback), with a froward by John Terraine.

Well Steve, thanks for shooting down what I thought was a great history question! :angry: I thought I had figured out that Vaughan came from a very Catholic family cause I just read Edward Campion was a priest executed under Elizabeth 1 in 1580, then you come along and tell me it's Edwin! :(

Paul - we aim to please! Interestingly (there is a biography in the book), he did come from a large (aren't they all) Catholic family, and was eductaed by the Jesuits - he had 5 brothers and 3 sisters.

Maybe the Campion bit was right....

I've read the book Steve, liked it , now going to read it again. From what you say, maybe his parents - Papists they were - :lol: may have preceded me in mixing up Edward and Edwin, sound like the kind of people who would name a child after a martyr.

With 9 kids, I reckon Mrs V must have been some sort of martyr......

E C Vaughan served in the 1/8 Royal Warwicks and the book relates to his experience in the Battles of Ypres in August/ September 1917.

Terry

I seem to recall that he died tragically when he was accidentially given an overdose of a drug whilst in hospital for a minor operation.

Sean

I seem to recall that he died tragically when he was accidentially given an overdose of a drug whilst in hospital for a minor operation.

Sean

Yes. The biographical note is interesting, indeed.

The book really is first-class - as Terry said, 1/8th R Warwicks at 3rd Ypres (and a bit before), and is quite frank - even to Vaughan telling how he put up a 'black' and made a bad name for himself in the Battalion (though he went on to get an MC).

The final paragraph (after coming out of the Line at St Julien in late August) is harrowing:

"So this was the end of 'D' Company. Feeling sick and lonely I returned to my tent to write out my casualty report; but instead I sat on the floor and drank whiskey after whiskey as I gazed into a black and empty future."

One of the greats, IMHO.

Guest mythago
One of the greats, IMHO.

I'll second that. It was one of the first Great War diaries/memoirs that I read, and it's superb. Vaughan was a very accomplished writer.

Cas

Many years ago whilst researching the Birmingham Pals I met the son of one of Vaughan's fellow officers from the 1/8th Royal Warwicks, William Hatwell. If I remember correctly, Vaughan did not like him.

Hatwell, by the way, had been in the British Regulars (pre WW1) bought himself out and went to live in Canada. He gave up on that and returned to Birmingham. Then when the war started he joined the 1st Birmingham Battalion and became a Sgt. He was commissioned in the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in June 1915 and later posted to the 1/8th Royal Warwicks. After the war, I think he had a greengrocer's shop.

Slightly off topic I know, but, I thought it might be of interest.

Terry

In my humble opinion, one of the greatest books you could have in your collection.

Does anyone know if his diary carried on to the end of the war? or did he stop abruptly in 1917.

Also does anyone know where he is buried, as I would love to pay my respects.

Regards......Ian

Stopped abruptly on (from memory - I'm at work) 28th August 1917.

Don't know where he's buried, but I'll have a look tonight and see if there's any information.

Guest geoff501
Maybe the Campion bit was right....

His mother's maiden name, perhaps? Don't have the book here. The other interesting fact in the short biography from the introduction is he was at OT at the same time as Wilfred Owen, but there is no record of them ever meeting and he was awarded the MC for capturing a bridge on the Sambre Canal - same canal, different part, where Wilfred Owen was killed.

Brilliant book, one of the best.

Ha! Yes, Geoff was right (I should pay more attention) mum's maiden name was....wait for it.... Lavinia Campion (a Yorkshirewoman). ECV was with the Artists at Gidea Park, Essex at the same time as Owen and Edward Thomas. No mention of where he's buried.

Now go out and buy the bally thing <_<

Guest geoff501
Ha! Yes, Geoff was right (I should pay more attention) mum's maiden name was....wait for it.... Lavinia Campion (a Yorkshirewoman). ECV was with the Artists at Gidea Park, Essex at the same time as Owen and Edward Thomas. No mention of where he's buried.

Now go out and buy the bally thing <_<

And did he win his MC the same day Owen was killed, same canal? must check my copy.

Think it was a fiver, used hardback on Amazon, best five pounds I've ever spent on a book.

Wonder just where he's buried?

Sure did win his MC at Landrecies, crossing the Sambre.

Still no idea of burial, I'm afraid.

Agree though - a really, really good book.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nathangordon

I am Edwin Campion Vaughan's great-grandson and I found your thread through a google alert I have on his name. Your thread is very interesting.

In response to SMG65, Vaughan was undergoing rather routine surgery as I recall and instead of being given codeine he was accidently administered cocaine. He died instantly as a result of the mistake. Quite tragic.

In response to Dawson, Vaughan did not continue writing after the war. His diary (which became Some Desperate Glory) was not published until the early 80s I think. Furthermore, I am not sure where he is buried but seeing as my grandmother (his daughter) was from Plymouth, I suspect that's where he's buried. I'll ask my grandmother.

nathanielgordon@gmail.com

Nathaniel what do you think of the theory that he was named, albeit somewhat mistakenly for a martyred Catholic?

Guest nathangordon

I'm not sure about the theory that he was named for a martryred Catholic. I asked my grandmother and my great-aunt but they didn't know. Actually, his full name is Edwin Stephen Campion Vaughan.

Now to add some detail to the story of his passing. He had collitis and had gone in for some sort of exploratory surgery. To correct my earlier post, he was administered cocaine instead of novacaine. My grandmother explains that "they said it was enough cocaine to kill 100 men." He was 33 and left a wife of 28 with four kids (the youngest was 6 months and the oldest was 4 1/2 years). His wife didn't receive any compensation.

My grandmother says that he may have tried going into journalism after the war but it didn't pan out for him or perhaps he was only considering the possibility. He ended up entering the airforce where he became a flight lieutenant.

My great-aunt indicates that he is buried in a Catholic cemetery in Leytonstone. She wasn't sure of the exact plot address but she's going to look into it and send me the details in the mail/post.

I found it interesting to learn that he hand-wrote the diary, which is probably in one of my relative's basements, on ledger paper.

Nathanial, thanks for posting this. Your great-grandfather was a brave man, who wrote a classic. You should be proud of him.