Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Before Endeavours Fade

salientguide

Just received the new totally updated edition of Rosie Coombes classic battlefield touring guide. Excellent, glad to say most of the illustrations remain with new photos where things need adding to or amending. the text is bought up to date with references to modern buildings, road layouts and the many modern memorials that are now springing up along the front.Glad to say ammendments are in the same style and fit seamlessly into the original text. Will surely continue to remain the essential planning and touring companion for those setting out for the first time or visiting new sectors. SG

ANOTHER book on my shopping list!

A nice thing about the new edition is that it's available in softback and hardback. The earlier editions also had hardback versions, but I was never able to get one.

The new edition is great, I think. It involved the current editor following all the routes in the book - over 30 of them, and re-photographing and re-writing as necessary. He also included new memorials and sites and also memorials/sites which had always been there but which had never been included in previous editions. All this resulted in a further 64 pages.

As the man used to say - "Don't leave home without it."

Tom

• 3 months later...

I have just received my copy of this book. It is really marvellous and has so much information simply not available elsewhere a real must for anyone interested in the Great War.

Keith

BEF was the first 'Great War' book I ever owned - a treasured present from my wife after a first trip to Vimy many years ago. Highly recommended even if you only have a slight interest in 14-18.

I will add this to my Chrismas pressie list, no doubt. I never travel without my trusty BEF.... However, I do find the itineraries a bit hard to follow. It would have been good to take the opportunity to make it a bit clearer perhaps....? Particularly for when I'm driving alone (or with a non-map reader. Oops that will get me into trouble.)

I start off well, buth then invariably get lost, so end up using the book to look up monuments/cemeteries etc that I come across as I try to get back on track. Coming across memorials etc unexpectedly is quite fun though!

Mind you, I wouldn't want the fundamental 'essence' of the book lost.

A great book. when my copy of the original 1st edition fell apart, I couldn't bear to throw it away. It and I had been through so many adventures together. I still have it, but in a ring-binder now!

Tom

The ONLY book that I ever take when visiting F&F. Oh, and a large scale map of the whole area.

Is it worth lashing out on the new edition?

Rgds

Andy

Andy

It certainly is.

It looks identical but with the cover pic (same one) in colour.

However, it has been updated by driving each route and all road changes are included. Also, many new memorials and places of interest are added. Lots of new photos.

Despite the changes it has retained the 'feel' of the original with the same page layouts, typeface etc. There are many more pages though. It is a completely new edition and not simply a repackaged version of the old one.