Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Chatham Naval Hospital

Neil Clark

Does anyone know where I can see or obtain photos of the old naval hospital? I am also interested in obtaining an old plan of the area.

The hospital is now known as the N.H.S Medway Maritime Hospital. I took a walk round the grounds last week and noticed a few very old buildings around the perimeter. The central part of the hospital contains newly constructed buildings apart from a couple of very large buildings "tacked on" one end. The clock tower remains but is surrounded by new wards.

Thousands of men were treated at Chatham including those wounded at the Zeebrugge and Ostend raids.

It would be nice to re-visit the site with an old map or photo.

Neil

Hi Denise,

I'm being lazy in the hope someone has an aerial photo on the forum!

I have seen a couple of very grainy photos on the wall inside the hospital. It looks like someone has blown a small photo up which has resulted in the image being a bit hazy (if you know what I mean).

Just noticed that I have stated CHATHAM! Am I right in saying that the hospital is actually located within the bounds of your "beloved" Gillingham?

Neil

Thats fantastic thanks for the links Denise!

Neil

I sent you a plan too... thanks to my boss who just paid for historical research using the company mapping system - don't tell him :) My email has been playing up so hope you get it ok - let me know if you don't. On City Ark there are a variety of other photos including the old front gates but they don't really show the site in detail, just sort of views of the front and church etc. There are some good later ward pictures - they look like WWII to me.