Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Airport to be built at Suvla?

Jonathan Saunders

I've heard at the address at the RND Commemoration at HMS Collingwood last Friday, that the speaker, Michael Hickey, said the Turkish authorities were proposing to build an airport at Suvla due to the increased interest in visiting the Gallipoli National Park.

Has anyone else heard this or have I been misinformed*?

*wound up/taken for a fool/"had" etc.

Hi Jonathan,

I think Michael may have been misinformed on this one. It is possible that he may have heard that the Turkish authorities are reopening the airport at Canakkale for commercial flights, in part due to the increased number of visitors to the area. I have not heard anything of an airport being constructed at Suvla. Airports are rather big things and require all sorts of expensive stuff, like runways, terminals, roads etc, all of which they have in Canakkale.

There have been some truly horrifying proposals put forward (and some pretty horrifying things done on the Peninsula in the last couple of years, but I think this one is a furphy.

Bill

Glad to hear it Bill but in view of recent past experience with the "re-development" of the Peninsula, I did have some concern there might be some truth in it, however stupid the concept sounded.

Guest gumbirsingpun

an airport at suvla is too far fetched,

90% of the suvla area is cultivated and equipped for irrigation, playing a crucial role in the production of cereals (especially wheat) and cotton

regards

tuna

Suvla has problems with sudden mysterious clouds appearing, swallowing up anything that ventures too close, never to be seen again.

Far to dangerous for an airport.

as raster scanning says ... far to dangerous for an airport.

but a UFO landing facility is under consideration. (not under construction ... yet)

The question is which figure (a geometric, an anthropomorphic ???) will be used to pinpoint this facility... Or shall we use the insigna of the Norfolk's ??? :lol:

eric