Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Escadrille Lafayette

Guest Benoit Douville

Guest Benoit Douville

I learn that today and I tough I would share this interesting story:

Shortly after the Escadrille Americaine went into action in April 1916, its exploits began to attract world-wide attention and other Americans became interested in flying for France. As a result, a committee known as the Franco-American Flying Corps (subsequently referred to as the Lafayette Aviation Corps and Lafayette Flying Corps), composed primarily of American and French business and professional men, was created to assist young Americans in enlisting in the French Aviation Service. More than 200 Americans eventually were trained by France to be flyers and most were assigned individually, or in twos or threes, to various French Aviation units. To say they served with the Escadrille Lafayette would be an historical inaccuracy. Rather, they all were "members" of the Lafayette Flying Corps, an organization which never actually served as an entity on the Front.

the Escadrille Lafayette had served on practically every battle front in France, had downed 57 enemy planes and had nine of its pilots killed.

Source: USAF Museum

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bob English

True. In fact two of the outstanding American scout pilots of the war, David Putman and Frank Baylies were members of the Lafayette Corp but not the Escadrille. Both from Massachusetts ,Putman (a decendent of Revolutionary War General Isreal Putman) served in Spa 94, Spa and M.S.P.156, and Spa 38 before he served as a flight commander with the 139th Aero Squadron. He was KIA September 12, 1918. He was officially credited with 13 kills although it is generally believed his actual total was closer to 30. I believe that Putman was the only pilot credited with a victory in the difficult to fly Morane AI XXIX, in fact he gained 4 official victories in this type.

Frank Baylies flew with Spa 73 and Spa 3. He accepted a commision with the USAS on 13th May, 1918 but still flew with with his French Squadron. Credited with 12 victories he was KIA 17 June, 1918.

I believe the total number of avaitors in the Lafayette Flying Corp was 268 of which 38 were of the Lafayette Escadrille. An excellent reference is "The Lafayette Flying Corps" by Dennis Gordon.