Hi, im trying to research my great grandad, a Patrick Tierney:

Name: TIERNEY, PATRICK

Initials: P

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment

Unit Text: No.4 Supernumerary Coy.

Date of Death: 28/09/1915

Service No: 20987

Additional information: Husband of Charlotte Tierney, of 6, Eden St., Preston. Served in the South African War.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: X. RC. 3.

Cemetery: PRESTON (NEW HALL LANE) CEMETERY

I have managed to locate his grave, at the moment im trying to use the census. Of which shows he was 13 in 1901, and from local records was married in 1898. Either he was aged 10 and married to someone twice his age or one of the records is wrong. Any help here would be helpful, but this post is concerning his medal Index. I can't find one for the first world war, i have found something to do with him in the local boar records. I dont remember what it was, but could it be possible that because he served in the Boar War his medal index and any other military records have been moved?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Dave.

With his surname I would imagine it could easily be mis~spelt,have you searched solely by Number & Regiment??

However as he was in a Supernumary Company, I expect he didnt serve Overseas & consequently would not have received War Medals,thus no MiC would have been completed for him.

I've tried searching on all fields for you but also came up blank.

I agree about non issue of medals

Mick

Hi, thanks for taking the time to look. His surname could be spelt teirney or differently, its even spelt wrong on the local roll of honour! CWGC states supernumeracy coy, what does this mean?

Apparently according to other sources he may have been in 2/4th Battalion or 1/4th Battaltion, as well as dying in 1915 in a hospital down south - ill have to find the name. But that suggests to me he was injured over seas brought back to Britain and died in hospital. Although it hasnt been stated that he D of W. This certainly has thrown shed some new light on him.

Thankyou ever so much.

Dave.

Why don't you order his death certificate. May give you something extra.

Mick

The Supernumary Companies TF were genarally made up of members of the pre-war National Reserve. When they were first formed in 1914 they were called Protection Companies TF. Later on, they were converted into the Royal Defence Corps.

I would not have thought, given his age, that he went overseas at all - hence no medals as stated above. BUT it is highly probable that he had prior military experience to be in the National Reserve. Boer war, perhaps?

Now I've just re-read your original post! Boer War, definitely!

Edited by Chris_Baker

One point that may be worth noting. On a personal note, I have 3 Victory medals in my (Small) collection that I can't find MIC's for either.

I recall a thread sometime ago that addressed this, and it was of the opinion that the Index was somewhat incomplete. :(

Why don't you order his death certificate. May give you something extra.

Mick

Ive previously tried to no avail. It is strange considering that he is buried in Preston, but the Lancashire Marriages and Death place have no record.

dave.

A death must always be registered in the place of death, not burial. The Reference you want is:

December quarter 1915

Tierney Patrick

Pembroke 11a 1408

Sue

A death must always be registered in the place of death, not burial. The Reference you want is:

December quarter 1915

Tierney Patrick

Pembroke 11a 1408

Sue

Hi, thanks for that. Would it be a case of emailing the pembroke births and marriages to see if they have any record?

Thanks,

Dave.