Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Russian triplane

stan

Anyone know anything about this sopwith triplane at Monino in Russia ? And what on earth is that biplane beyond it?

post-2145-1149505289.jpg

Stan

I think that the Sopwith Triplane must be N5486, which was sent to Russia in 1917 for evaluation. After the Revolution, it served with the Red Army's air arm.

It's rather difficult to judge from the photograph, but the machine behind the triplane looks like a Sikorsky Il'ya Mourometz bomber, similar to that shown below. I didn't know that any examples of what might be said to be the world's first successful multi-engined bomber were still in existence.

Regards

Gareth

post-45-1149506123.jpg

In Hall 1 of the museum stand the following planes/models :

Mozhaisky, Bleriot, Wrights, Voisin, De Havilland, Farman-30, LVG(Luft Verkehrs Gesellshaft), Sopwith, Ilya Muromets, Grizodubov, Morane-G, Nieuport, Svyatogor.

I have photo's somewhere I did get from a correspondent of mine...

monino080011ld.jpg

monino160014eb.jpg

What are the things above the fuselarge under the centre section?

Stan

As I recall, they're fuel tanks - at least they're well away from the engines.

Cheers

Gareth

• 1 month later...

The Ilya Mourometz bomber, very successfull, had a fearsome reputation among German scouts and fighters for being very difficult to shoot down, on account of its well-placed machineguns.

I believe only one of them ever fell to enemy fighters.

I believe only one of them ever fell to enemy fighters.

The aeroplane you mention is probably the Il'ya Moroumetz Kievsky II, which was attacked by four German aircraft from Feldfleiger Abteilung 21 while on a bombing mission on 6 July 1915. The IM was damaged, and several crewmen were wounded, before it force landed behind the Russian lines.

Gareth

The Ilya Moroumetz which is on display in Monino is a replica, not an original. The sign by it when I visited there last year clearly noted that it was a reproduction. Doc2