Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RGA Medal Card - any clues

corcam

Dear All,

I am currently investigating my great uncles, and one of them disappeared and I am therefore looking for any clues.

This medal card is the only evidence I have that he ever existed and as you can see he has an unusual name.

I am new to reading medal cards but wondered if there were any clues or whether the RGA numbers give any regiment information.

Thanks

Corcam

post-12783-1149440908.jpg

Hello Corcam

The numbers on the top right are your great uncle's service numbers.

The RGA cards do not record the battery unit details that your great uncle would have served with. I have been advised that some of the medal rolls for the Victory and the British medals sometimes gontain the details of the actual unit for the RGA.

I am not sure if this is true or the percentage of the rolls that it applies to but it may be worth either visiting the NA or paying a researcher to look on your behalf.

regards

Mel

The RGA cards do not record the battery unit details that your great uncle would have served with.

This may generally true but is not always the case. My grandfather's MIC details the battery he served with, 4th siege battery RGA.

Nigel

Yes it is true that the medal rolls may well name the actual RGA Battery he served with. This is more likely for the Victory and British rolls rather than the 15 star. It is not guaranteed though; the best clue for me here is the date of entry into theatre of war 13/02/1915. You could check out the embarkation records at the NA of the Batteries that were on troopships on that day and the day before, my guess would be its probably a RGA battery involved in the build up for the battle of Neuve Chapelle. There are also books in the NA library that list all the dates assorted Batteries and Battalions entered into the relevant theatres of war. Ask at the enquiries desks on the second floor at Kew. The service numbers indicate this man may also have been a pre war regular and survived the war to qualify for Class Z Army reserve.

Paul

The service numbers indicate this man may also have been a pre war regular and survived the war to qualify for Class Z Army reserve.

Paul

Thank you for all the information. Can you just explain what a Class Z Army reserve is?

Thanks

Corcam

Post 1917 number looks like a RGA Company or Depot raised unit rather than locally raised ,

Where the composite medal roll refers to a unit , it almost always refers to the man having previously served with the unit listed or rejoining the same unit for some reason.It does not mean he was with that unit at the time the composite roll was made.

The individual medal rolls often clarify this position better.

Roop

Can you just explain what a Class Z Army reserve is?

Taken directly from the LLT mothersite and quoted in it's entirety....

Class Z Reserve was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve "for the duration", were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life, but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920.

Steve

Class Z reserve, was a special reserve of soldiers on demob who could return to civilian life, but could be instantly recalled if the Germans did not honour the armistice. It was done away with in 1920. I note there appears to be only one Fuller Biggs in the 1891 census that would make your man about 35 at his entry to France and Flanders. I cannot see him in the 1901 census. Is this him, I hope it wasn’t as the family appear to have hit very hard times?

Paul

Class Z reserve, was a special reserve of soldiers on demob who could return to civilian life, but could be instantly recalled if the Germans did not honour the armistice. It was done away with in 1920. I note there appears to be only one Fuller Biggs in the 1891 census that would make your man about 35 at his entry to France and Flanders. I cannot see him in the 1901 census. Is this him, I hope it wasn’t as the family appear to have hit very hard times?

Paul

I think the one you have found is my Great Uncle and their mother did end up in the workhouse - however his father managed to keep the boys - and although he lost one brother to TB in the early 1900's, Fuller and 4 of his other brothers served in WW1 and I think most if not all in France and Flanders. 2 didn't come home so Fuller was one of the lucky ones.

With respect to the Class Z reserve - will any details still be kept at Kew even though this was after the war?

All this is very interesting, I did not know of his existance until a few weeks ago and I may have some photos of him that can not be indentified as him - he apparently fell out with his father as he married an older woman, so my mission is to find out where he did end up.

Thanks for your help