Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Blanche

dredd

Hi, my grandfather served on HMS Blanche,is there anyone out there that knows anything about

this ship,anything would be welcome,thanks,Edd

Hi, my grandfather served on HMS Blanche,is there anyone out there that knows anything about

this ship,anything would be welcome,thanks,Edd

HMS Blanche: Boadicea Class Scout Cruiser of 3,360 tons, length 385 ft (p.p) 405 ft (o.a.), beam 41½ ft. 10 x 4 inch and 2 x 18 inch TT. 2 shafts, turbines 18,000 s.h.p 24-25 knots (26.1 knots maximum recorded). Completed Pembroke Dockyard 1910 and sold 1921 to Fryer, Sunderland.

At Jutland attached to 4th Battle Squadron; Iron Duke (C-in-C Flag), Royal Oak, Superb (Flag), Canada, Benbow (Flag), Bellerophon, Temeraire, Vanguard.

My grandfather served on her as well. I believe that she was one of only a small number of ships (2?) to be present at the battle without firing a single round.

Nigel

• 2 weeks later...
My grandfather served on her as well. I believe that she was one of only a small number of ships (2?) to be present at the battle without firing a single round.

Nigel

Hi,Nigel,my grandfathers name was jack martin,i never had the pleasure of nowing him,just know that he

served on HMS Blanche,from the only picture I have of him,he has a single stripe on one arm and a

triple propeller like on th other,believe this ment he was a engine room bloke (not sure),anyway he served

in World War 1,as for dates have not got any,many thanks for replying,sorry it has been so long to get back to you,thanks Edd

Hi Edd

The 3 blade propeller badge sounds like the stoker's badge.

Naval service registers are online, click here to find his, if you know his date or place of birth that will help your serch unless you are looking for an unusual name. He probably served on more than one ship.

Hello Edd

BLANCHE was a lucky ship.

Throughout the war, only two of her crewmen died. A Steward in 1915 and a Stoker in 1917, both to illness.

Also, she does not appear in George Ransome's Royal Navy ship accidents for the war. This source involves itself only with material damage to a ship.

All best

don

Hello

BLANCHE did experience at least one accident in her career. On 3 October 1911, she damaged her stem after striking a rock in the Pentland Skerries.

All best

don

• 13 years later...

My grandfather, James George Brewer, was also a stoker on HMS Blanche during WW1. I have a medal confirming his participation at Jutland. Also a commemorative Princess Mary Christmas tin, complete with cigarette and tobacco packaging and card. The contents were used long ago!

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I too had a relative was seemingly a Stoker (Mech 2 ?) on HMS Blanche - Alfred George BROAD - joined her in Jan 1916 & left in 1919 - presumably when she was 'Paid Off'. He had joined up in in Oct 1899, & left in Nov 1921.

13 minutes ago, Steve BROAD said:

seemingly a Stoker (Mech 2 ?) on HMS Blanche

He had been advanced in1910 from Stoker Petty Officer to Acting Mechanician and confirmed in the rate in 1911. Mechanicians had to undergo a two years' course of training in the Mechanical Training Establishment, and be a Stoker Petty Officer of two years' service (acting and confirmed) at sea. They had a higher standard of technical ability than a stoker.

Edited by horatio2

Thank you so much for that Horatio.

I'm not too hot on Navy ratings, (certainly not a Mechanician !) but his Service record alluded to having previously been being a Sto PO - taken to be Stoker Petty Officer - which I believe to be the highest Non-Commissioned rank. There are some 'Mech' references on his record, and the only place I've seen the full Mechanician, Royal Navy was on the 1911 Census - I thought someone had strangely got it wrong...........

If only I had known about my relative a year ago - I've just found that his medals were auctioned in Newcastle in August last year ! 4 medals & copy Service record (same as I have) for £95.

Just in case - can you decode R.M.G for me ?

Thanks again

RMG = Recommended for award of the Long Service Medal and Gratuity.

8 minutes ago, Steve BROAD said:

Stoker Petty Officer - which I believe to be the highest Non-Commissioned rank.

Chief Petty Officer was above Petty Officer and above them were Warrant ranks below Commissioned Offficers.

Edited by horatio2

3 hours ago, horatio2 said:

Mechanicians had to undergo a two years' course of training in the Mechanical Training Establishment, and be a Stoker Petty Officer of two years' service (acting and confirmed) at sea. They had a higher standard of technical ability than a stoker.

Indeed - The introduction of the mechanician rate in 1906 provided a limited number of stokers the opportunity for enhanced advancement (topping out at warrant officer). Selection was open to leading stokers and petty officers under the age of thirty. Candidates were also required to sit the same educational examination as that undertaken by artificer entrants. If they passed that particular barrier they then undertook a two year training programme onboard the Indus II at Devonport (ex-Temeraire).

MB