Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
dredd

HMS Blanche

dredd

Hi, my grandfather served on HMS Blanche,is there anyone out there that knows anything about

this ship,anything would be welcome,thanks,Edd

FAAAEd
Hi, my grandfather served on HMS Blanche,is there anyone out there that knows anything about

this ship,anything would be welcome,thanks,Edd

HMS Blanche: Boadicea Class Scout Cruiser of 3,360 tons, length 385 ft (p.p) 405 ft (o.a.), beam 41½ ft. 10 x 4 inch and 2 x 18 inch TT. 2 shafts, turbines 18,000 s.h.p 24-25 knots (26.1 knots maximum recorded). Completed Pembroke Dockyard 1910 and sold 1921 to Fryer, Sunderland.

At Jutland attached to 4th Battle Squadron; Iron Duke (C-in-C Flag), Royal Oak, Superb (Flag), Canada, Benbow (Flag), Bellerophon, Temeraire, Vanguard.

Bombadier

My grandfather served on her as well. I believe that she was one of only a small number of ships (2?) to be present at the battle without firing a single round.

Nigel

dredd
My grandfather served on her as well. I believe that she was one of only a small number of ships (2?) to be present at the battle without firing a single round.

Nigel

Hi,Nigel,my grandfathers name was jack martin,i never had the pleasure of nowing him,just know that he

served on HMS Blanche,from the only picture I have of him,he has a single stripe on one arm and a

triple propeller like on th other,believe this ment he was a engine room bloke (not sure),anyway he served

in World War 1,as for dates have not got any,many thanks for replying,sorry it has been so long to get back to you,thanks Edd

per ardua per mare per terram

Hi Edd

The 3 blade propeller badge sounds like the stoker's badge.

Naval service registers are online, click here to find his, if you know his date or place of birth that will help your serch unless you are looking for an unusual name. He probably served on more than one ship.

kin47

Hello Edd

BLANCHE was a lucky ship.

Throughout the war, only two of her crewmen died. A Steward in 1915 and a Stoker in 1917, both to illness.

Also, she does not appear in George Ransome's Royal Navy ship accidents for the war. This source involves itself only with material damage to a ship.

All best

don

kin47

Hello

BLANCHE did experience at least one accident in her career. On 3 October 1911, she damaged her stem after striking a rock in the Pentland Skerries.

All best

don

Ray Brewer

My grandfather, James George Brewer, was also a stoker on HMS Blanche during WW1. I have a medal confirming his participation at Jutland. Also a commemorative Princess Mary Christmas tin, complete with cigarette and tobacco packaging and card. The contents were used long ago!